Broken Clicker

johnny doi

hi raiders,

i have a 4500 rovex big boss but my clicker broke a few mths back whist fighting a above average king,which busted me off after a 5-10min fight.question is,does the clicker have anything to do with the drag system,& can you still use reels that have a broken?also what is the purpose for the clicker,is it just a rachet system on threadlines,or part of a reels drag?

thanks guys,id appeciate if anyone can help me with the answers to my questions.

:beersmile: johnny :thumbup::biggrin2:

G'day Johnny,

The clicker or rachet on a reel doesn't have anything to do with the working of the drag. It's simply an audible warning that you're losing line.

On spinning reels they're normally a simple spring-loaded metal cam that interacts with the cog on the spool shaft so that as the spool turns while the shaft is stationary (when line is going out against the drag), it clicks. If you look beneath the spool on your reel you should see something similar to the below (from a Shimano Stradic)... they're a little different on every reel but usually the same basic idea.

If you can work out how yours is meant to work it might be a simple fix. I fixed one for Roberta a couple of weeks ago and it only took about 20 seconds to reposition the spring.

Cheers, Slinky

post-6175-1253791239_thumb.jpg