Advice Please On Motor Needed

Narralakes

Just after some advice on what to do. Burnt out my 1995 Johnson 5 hp a few weeks ago, motored slowed, smoke coming out, then stopped the motor. Took it to the shop to get it fixed and they said between $800 - $1000 to put in new pistons and get it going. Also said it would be like a new one after its reconditioning. DOnt know what to do? they said they would buy it if I didnt want to keep it, for $150. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I hope he is not offering $150 when it is worth much more, should I just sell it to them? I know its only a small motor, but it use to go so well, and since blowing it I purchased a 2nd hand Yammy. What to do???????????? Help!!!!

cheers

Ken

Mate of mine put a new barrel and pistons in himself Ken and it didn''t cost nowhere near that

And was a 15 HP

Look around mate

Boppa

By the way where was the quote from

Dont be put off be a recon. Any reputable repairer will give a warranty and they should be ok. Ive re built dozens of outboards and they come up no worries.

Is it possible to buy fully reconditioned 5 hp for $800.00 with a warranty from somewhere else ? probably not. Its worth investigating before you make a decision.

At least you know the history of your engine

My advice is buy a brand new one or reco your own engine. Dont sell it for $150.00 thats way too cheap. Parts are not expensive for Johnsons. These guys would probably rebuild and sell your engine anyway - you might as well have it.

Push them for a solid quote and a warranty.

Putting pistons in an outboard is not really a big deal. A good mechanic could rebuild 10 of these things in a day.Make sure they put a water pump in it if its overheated and a thermostat. Did they tell you the cause ?

Being a mechanic by trade this is a no brainer - fix it, it will be ok. Its really a financial decision,can you buy something else for the same money it would cost to fix this one.

Good luck :)

Thanks for all the advice guys, sounds like the message is to keep it and get it fixed or sell it privately. Anyone know a good mechanic who would fix it for me? Boppa, the quote came from North Harbour Marine down at North Manly near the Golf Course. That is a good idea putting it on Ebay Swoffa, but do you reckon because it was smoking and probably something is burnt out that peopled would be a bit hesitant in buying it? Iv''e got no idea about mechanics. If anyone could put me onto someone who could fix it cheaper I''d appreciate it,

cheers

Narra

Hang on Ken

I''ll talk to the mate

I used to race two stroke motor bikes mate and there pretty simple t owork on

Leave it with me

If you get bad with no fishing I''ll lend you mine in a weeks time when I get back from out west

Boppa

Thanks heaps Boppa, that would be great. Iv''e picked up a 2nd hand 5 hp yammy because I couldnt bear the thought of not going out, but thanks for the offer for lending yours to me. But would like to get this motor fixed, if your mate can do it, I''d be indebted. I''ll wait to hear from you.

cheers

Ken

Hi Narralakes, Give M & W Marine Services a call on 0295259635 and ask for Bob the owner, he is a great bloke and knows what he is talking about when it comes to motors and does not charge a arm & leg for his work. They are at Caringbah and tell Ray from Penrith told you to ring. Hope this helps. Cheers RAY