Photos Now Added - Updated Live Bait Tank & Other Improvements On My Savage Side Console

jewgaffer

Hi Raiders, I thought I'd share some modifications that I had done to the set up of my Savage side console....It was nicely set up in the first place, but like most fishing boats, needed those few small things done to it that make life so much easier....The little things that you think of while you're actually out there fishing to set up your boat to the optimum should be done whenever you feel the need to... A good set up gives you incentive, confidence and strive... Knowing that everything is right with your gear and your bait and having all the fishing and the boat items you need correct and perfectly placed, in itself gives you a keeness to go out there and fish more positively.......

Among other improvements which include having a back flow pump system installed to create an ongoing waterfall effect coming out of the back of my boat, I needed to have a larger live bait tank installed that could be mounted flush against the inside of the stern gunnel and centered directly underneath my bait board and be easy to work in front of and at each side of it, the working area at the stern being the most important area in a fishing boat......

1. Live Bait Tank

Although I wanted to have the new large bait tank mounted alongside of the original tank which was to be moved over and used for keeping small live bait ,small poddies, worms and nippers etc separate from the main bait tank, the fishing room with both bait tanks alongside one another would have been a little on the tight side in the corners of the stern, and I need working space in the stern area in general and also around my downriggers... Subsequently I was unable to use the original live bait tank as the new one was best mounted in the same position centered under the bait board where the original live bait tank was installed in order to keep the good fishing room that I already had at the front and at both sides of the bait tank...Thus the bait tank needed to be long and narrow and have good volume in it and be able to be mounted at a good height off the floor so as not to impede the good leg room anywhere in the stern area of my boat ....

I had looked everywhere for a larger live bait tank to suit my particular boat and at one stage I thought the size that I wanted would have to be made up either in fibreglass or two pack stainless steel....By fluke I came across a little company interstate that makes just the one live bait tank which is long and narrow and very much like a mackeral box .....This particular live bait tank has a 60 litre capacity, it's made in polyethylene and is the best tank off the shelf that I've ever seen as the others are too big and bulky, in which case it pays to have one custom made rather than having a bait tank that interferes with your deck room.. ....

The original live bait tank was bolted to the inside of the stern gunnel but because of it's size and extra weight added when filled, the new live bait tank had to be supported by having it bolted to the stern gunnel and a custom made alloy stand had to me made to support it....

Here is a few photos showing the live bait tank and particularly of the stand which was custom made for me in heavy duty alloy by Gary Aka Brickman who is a good friend and also a fishing friend of mine and Gary's metal fabrication factory is Seriously Stainless, one of the sponsers of our site...

post-829-1254204351_thumb.jpg Live bait tank installed by Geoff aka Geoff on Fishraider

post-829-1254204061_thumb.jpg Live bait tank stand made by Gary of Seriously Stainless

2. Back Flow Pumps

The back flow pump system that my good friend Geoff aka Geoff on Fishraider installed and done all the taps and electrics for, was originally used in the Mediterranean and created an ongoing fountain of water coming out of the back of a particular fleet of commercial fishing boats...... I'm going to use the same system in conjunction with having a good supply of burley running thru the waterfall in order to muster up and gather as many species of fish as possible into the one area......

I intend chosing spots like points, alcoves where the flow or wind direction on the day either takes the burley into a shoreline preferably with deep water behind it or concentrates the burley flow and the fish in close against a point etc also one which has deep water behind it, so as to hold fish around the burley and attract the interests of jewfish whenthey are schooled up at home and encourage them to come out behind the general species and keep feeding out the burley by constantly burleying mixed ingredients which will include the bait I'm using to keep general fish in the area and the reserve drums of burley will be strapped in front of the console where they will be out of the way of the bow fishing area as well .....

Here's a photo of the back flow pump which has two way taps and can be used as a back flowing waterfall, and also as a deck wash and the handset will be mounted close to the bait board to thaw out bait and to clean the work area and freshen up the bait board etc.... The pump uses the pick up off the original live bait tank and rercirculates water back out thru a hose which hangs off the stern.....the live bait tank outlet itself gives a good flow of recycled water at the other side of the stern so small pieces of bait and squid ink can be added to the flow.....

post-829-1254204520_thumb.jpg

I would like to thank Gary/Brickman once again for doing a terrific job on making the perfect live bait stand for bait tanks etc that need to be mounted off the floor. Your live bait tank stand is yet another well made and great product, thanks Gary :thumbup:

I would also like to thank Geoff /aka Geoff on Fishraider for all the time and effort he put into helping me out ... This man's knowledge of anything to do with boating and marine installations from electrics to appliances, and the best parts required, to motors and trailers and particularly Geoff's interpretation of and his understanding of catalogues and working diagrams has to be seen to be believed Thanks again Geoff :thumbup:

Summary of work performed by Geoff:-

Back wash pump for the waterfall at the back of the boat

Deck wash / baitboard wash set up

Live bait tank installation, pump and electrics including installing a new compass and installing all the relevent switches on the dash with fuses and labels as well..

Raised bait board to suit the higher position of the new bait tank

Install new grab rail on console for the driver and locate same in the best position for general access.

Install s/s deck lights on the bottom of the bulit in side pockets just above the floor in the stern work area

Recommended and installed a double adaptor unit for the new s/s cigarette lighter female...

Install fuses and provide me with a complete fuse diagram

Relocate duel batteries

Cut, paint and install 3 inch hardward blocks to raise the two swivel chairs in the stern area and also the one swivel chair in the bow area...

post-829-1254204866_thumb.jpg

Without me even asking, Geoff checked the wheel bearings on the trailer and lubricated the externals including the winch and the jockey wheel and sorted out my anchor ropes and after the work was finished added lengths of new chain to my four anchors and provided rope for my five new fenders also..

To members who may be interested, I have no use for it and am thinking of selling my other new larger live bait tank on swap and sell... it's exactly the same as the new one in the photo and is already set up with an inlet and an outlet which has a filter to stop small fish etc from swimming out thru the outlet, a spreader bar fitted and a drain plug... It has factory female reinforced threaded brass bolt holes in the lower sides to mount it onto a stand and the top section can be drilled and bolted against the gunnels for extra support, and you only would need to buy the hoses and a 500 gals/hr rule pump with a rule pump mount and a pick up...

Also my original smaller polyethylene live bait tank which is a good one in it's original well looked after condition is to be sold also, and would make a good general live bait tank and holds a good number of slimies and yellowtail for instance and would also be an excellent second tank for someone who has room alongside their main live bait tank and wishes to keep squid and smaller bait separate from the fish in the main live bait tank... The original tank is also fitted with an inlet and an outlet and only needs hoses to suit and possibly a new whale pump as the one with it doesn't seem to be working at the moment.

If anyone is interested in buying one or both of these two good live bait tanks please send me a pm ...you wont be dissappointed in anyway, just that I thought I could find enough room to install them on my boat as well as I do spend time stocking up on bait whenever I can rather than buying it.....

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Nice looking set up and modifications, Byron. I think tinkering and improving your boat is as much fun (almost) as fishing out of it. Anyone who ever says everything is perfect has switched off the old grey matter.... there's always ways to make any boat more fishy, even if you haven't thought of them yet.

Nice work Geoff, Gary and Byron. :thumbup:

Cheers, Slinky

I would like to let those members know who contacted me regarding the sale of my extra live bait tank, the spare larger bait tank I had identical to the new one in the photo that wouldn't quite fit anywhere on my boat, has now been sold to a very happy member Mike Doyle, thanks Mike...... Mike is a mature age student in his final year at University studying to be a Anglican Minister and Mike really loves his fishing which is quite refreshing to see and is a real credit to the calibre of Fishraider's members :thumbup: .....

Also my smaller original tank is no longer for sale as Geoff has made enough room to mount it on the floor under the stern gunnell next to the live bait tank stand that Gary made for me at his company Seriously Stainless.... Thanks a million Gary and Geoff :thumbup: I will now be able to use my original bait tank for separating squid and nippers etc from the fish in the main live bait tank where it will be out of the way of the left hand downrigger, and I'm sure Geoff will be only too willing to wire my 12volt in-tank aerator directly to my battery terminals....

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer