Check Your Camera Card Before Deleting Pics

arpie

Hi all

As many of you will know, I've been away for the last 4 weeks, tripping along coast up to Qld & back via the bush, with 2 family weddings, 2 World Triathlon Championships and a kayak fishing competition in between to keep us busy along the way!

Needless to say, lots of photos were taken & over the last couple of days, since our return on Tues, I have been downloading the pics to the computer & sending copies of the wedding shots off to family members.

In amongst the photos, I also took the occasional bit of video as well.

This morning, I was checking the downloaded pics & noticed that some pics hadn't appeared in the download! (Movies aren't automatically downloaded either, but I knew that.) Luckily I hadn't deleted the SD cards (as I normally do immediately after downloading) ....... and good thing I hadn't!

Looks like the pics that were taken AFTER any video/movie were prevented from downloading at all! :wacko:

Really glad I didn't reformat the SD cards or else those pics (including Keith with his Medal) would have been GORN FOREVER! :mad3:

Moral of the story ....... make sure you physically check your camera's card to make sure all pics & movies are downloaded before deleting!

Cheerio

Roberta

the best way to make sure you get all the photos off your cards is to NOT use the crappy software that comes with your camera

best to browse to the folder via my computer and copy the entire contents of your card to your computer then go threw and delete what you dont need

and if you do delete your card by accident there is software to recover the lost data

Thanks for that, FT - my Mac automatically opens & downloads to IPhoto - the more recent system upgrades allow movies & pics to be downloaded to it now, but my poor old system doesn't manage it!

I reckon I have lost pics before & just not realised it (probably vids too) when I first got into digital ...... I often download smaller number of pics to the desktop & decide which ones to import, but when there are 2-300 pics ....... I just tend to import them all & weed them out later! :wacko:

A wiser person now! :1prop:

Roberta

the best way to make sure you get all the photos off your cards is to NOT use the crappy software that comes with your camera

best to browse to the folder via my computer and copy the entire contents of your card to your computer then go threw and delete what you dont need

and if you do delete your card by accident there is software to recover the lost data

I totally agree - just drag n drop in windows explorer

Don't forget to archive to DVD all photos . Store them in one area on the computer and dump them all to DVD ASAP. 2 copies - one to the safe and one to parents or family members house. We also copy to a portable drive . Harddrives don't last forever and don't forget to test the GVG works before you store it away. Use archive quality DVD's and recopy them every 4 years as they can get fungus etc and deteriorate.

Last thing you ever want to do is lose your photos and most people I know do nothing and they have a crashing computer or virus and them - all gone.

Another good idea there, Pel! Thanks for that. I had moved thousands of pics to my external HD recently, to free up space on my laptop (only got a 30gig HD) but hadn't gotten around to putting on DVD yet!

It is now on my list!

Cheerio

Roberta

Hey Roberta! Go the Mac!

On my mac im using Digital Photo Professional, it does its job great! Cant expect anything better. I photo does something similar. I usually just transfer all my pictures into that program and it archives them all (pics and movies) according to date in folders.

Usually i sift through it and delete photos. Pick out the good ones delete the bad ones and i keep a copy on my laptop and one on an external hard disk like pel said. Also i Keep the exceptional ones in a special folder =D.

Maybe a new Mac book should be on the shopping list...and....1 TB external hardrive...and..additional fishing lures...tackle... =]. Oh and did i mention...a DSLR =D

Justin :1fishing1:

hehehe Hi Justin! Glad I am not the only Mac Addict here! :thumbup::yahoo:

Just have to wait for this one to 'cark it' before justifying the cost of a newbie! THen I get all the upgrades in one hit! We have a more recent desktop mac as well that is wireless, so when I upgrade, we won't have to fight over who is on the net first & longest ..... I usually win! :biggrin2:

A DSLR would be fun! Maybe next year's birthday pressie .....

Roberta

Time to buy a Lotto ticket I think, Roberta. Glad you picked it up.

Cheers, Slinky

Lucky break to pick up on that, i have software to recover off ntfs and fat32 drives. As long as data hasnt been written back over the top of the deleted file it can be recovered. Even if a drive has been quick formatted you should still be able to. In the case of a failed drive, as long as it powers up still most of the drive is still recoverable.

Software i use is called Get data back