Port Stephens Bait Spots

adkel53

Hello raiders,

I am heading to Port Stephens for a week soon and would like to have a crack at the jewies up around Soldiers Point and maybe Karuah bridge (along with some lizard spinning). Will be launching at Soldiers Point. Just wondering if anyone can tell me what live baits are available up that way, where I might try and whether I can jig them or will need to use baited handlines.

Also, is it blue swimmer crab time up there yet??

Any help gratefully received.

Tight lines,

Kel

Edited by kel

Hey mate

Just got back from a week up there. Spent a lil time fishing for not much. Was told by several locals the kings are off the break wall to the marina in Nelson Bay thou most are rats. However a local scored a 18kg specimen during the week of the brekwall. Not sure where you could get some liveys but I was told there are plenty of bigg squid of the rocks their at the moment. I didnt chance it considering the wind was up to 30-40knots and a nice 1-2 swell was running.

Good luck with it.

Dan

Edited by Dan and Greg

Kel....

If live bait is around , I normally find it around the Tomaree headland , more so outside rather than inside..

Inside is worth a try for squid

I'm heading to PS in the 3rd week of Oct.

Geoff

• Like 1

G'day Kel.

I just spent this weekend there for one port jackson.

You can get squid at night off the shoal bay wharf or livies around the Tomaree (south) headland as Geoff said.

I've caught some soapies at the island directly north of Soldiers Point, but the tide races through there so you only get a small window at the top or bottom of the tide to fish.

Make sure you get maps from the local tackle shops as there are many areas there where restrictions apply or santuaries, and they WILL nab you if you are in the wrong places.

Good luck and give us a report when you return.

Two Blues.

"Mrs Simpsons" (I think that is what is called) is a big cleft in the rock just outside around Tomaree headland. It always used to be a good spot for livies but you better check to see it's not a restricted spot. I'm not up to speed with the marine park changes up that way.

Inside, if you can find the Corlette wreck, you can pick up yakkas and slimeys there. I can't help you with co-ordinates - we found it with a sounder a few years back after watching boats in the area for a while then sounding the area early next morning.

You can get a few off the co-op wharf too.

Good luck.

Baz