Fishing For Kings In Botany Bay

dino76

Guys,

Having only caught two kingies (both rats), i would like to know how to bring them to the surface or fish them deeper without a structure.

The two which i caught were both surface kings in sydney harbour, the first on a popper and the second on white stick bait.

However, this week i intend to head down to botany bay where 4 were recently caught and try to bring them up from the a whole know that i know of.

i have previously fished for kings around a structure (i.e. pylon/buoy) and understand that principle, but i dont know how to either fish or bring them up from the deep without a structure.

your knowledge and assistance will be greatly appreciated in this matter!

dean

hi dino

im not a kingfish guru by no means but i have caught a handful & majority of them were caught in botany bay not right on structure but near the structure[100m or so away from it]but i also got a few nowhere near any structure at all drifting with whole squid baits[live & dead]& strips of squid too.iv never caught any on the surface but to bring them up from deeper water to the surface,you could try berly to entice them up.for example.if using squid for bait, you should try incorperate some small bits of squid strips & scraps into the berly so that the kings get a taste of the same type of bait you are using.you can do that with every type of bait you use.& im sure it would work with other species too.& it doesnt mean if you are using surface lures you cant use berly,because in my experience with berling,a bit of berly never hurt.alot of people go out to only use lures,but bring some berly with them to get the fish that little bit more aggressive as they compete with other fish for a free feed.as i said at the start,im certainly no expert when it comes to kingies[let alone any species]but in my limited experience,the smart use of berly 9 times out of 10 works in the anglers favour.but remember with all berlying,a little bit at a time.not half your berly in 5 or 10mins.you wana tease the fish with a taste,not feed them.you could start off with a few handfuls,but once you know the fish are there,slow right down to a small handful every 5 to 10mins.im sure other raiders that chase kings regularly will have some tips aswell.hope this helps & hope to hear a report of some BB kings.

:beersmile: cheers johnny :biggrin2:

Guys,

Having only caught two kingies (both rats), i would like to know how to bring them to the surface or fish them deeper without a structure.

............i have previously fished for kings around a structure (i.e. pylon/buoy) and understand that principle, but i dont know how to either fish or bring them up from the deep without a structure..........

........your knowledge and assistance will be greatly appreciated in this matter!........

dean

I used to be in that same boat myself, but there's no problem encouraging Kingfish to come up willingly nowadays, Dino.... Use 165LB mono and troll downriggers around 6 foot off the bottom...when you hook up just accelerate onto the plane quickly, but remember the fish is still being towed along behind you when you exit the system at the boat ramp and hit the M5...

Hope this helps

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

I used to be in that same boat myself, but there's no problem encouraging Kingfish to come up willingly nowadays, Dino.... Use 165LB mono and troll downriggers around 6 foot off the bottom...when you hook up just accelerate onto the plane quickly, but remember the fish is still being towed along behind you when you exit the system at the boat ramp and hit the M5...

Hope this helps

Cheers

:Funny-Post:

Hope this helps

Cheers

:tease::074::Funny-Post: you still got it jewie

Thanks for the help boys... i will take on board the berly tips - i must admit that i dont do this well enough...

and yeah, i've heard that once you hook one kingy, dont bring it in immediately as it will attract others & this is a good chance for double hookups.

dean