Kingies And Stripies

fishmaniac

Havn't been out in a few weeks due to terrible weather and a heavy study schedule. With a window of reasonable weather on monday, me and my mate Ross decided to shoot out and see what action this warmer water has brought down.

First up, it is worth noting some jigging we had done a few wweks ago on an assortement of Sydney reefs. We have lost our fair share of jigs to leatherjackets. I really am beginning to hate these things. If only these guys were under such demand as other species on the commercial market (in terms of taste they are better than a lot of other fish on the market anyways)

Being new to jigging, we have had a reasonable run. Out of about 7 trips we have had 1 king-fishless trip, several trips where we have caught between 2 and 6 kingies. And one ABSOLUTE CRACKER. We landed in excess of 30 kings between the two of us, all in the 70s to 80s with one fishing bumping over the metre mark. That was certainly the most exciting day of king action I have experienced.

post-6215-1254807078_thumb.jpgpost-6215-1254807118_thumb.jpg

We went for a quick jig yesterday to land 1 undersize fish and loose two more jigs to the jackets :ranting2: But i think the season for that is starting to close out.

We then went for a troll and picked up some stripies out wide. Then we bumbed into a big school of these guys about 5km out from the heads. We were first on the scend for about half an hour before a couple of other boats caught on and started working them aswell. We had some fun and caught about 15 in total. They ranged from 2 to 5kg. We released a few, kept some for bait and will take a couple to try in a new recipe. They really scream off thats for sure.

post-6215-1254806994_thumb.jpg

Drummoyne ramp was still open, still not sure when they are going to start construction for the new ramp facilities :wacko:

Andrew

The best fish I have had raw . A friend is a Japanese chef & he has put me onto a new sauce , Ponzo from asian supermarket based on comquat which is citrus. A lot of people dont eat Stripeys but my kids love them raw but wont eat them if I cook them . It is good finally to see them back as they are great fun on light gear . Adam

Edited by hornets

well done mate and nice pics

nice hairtail did you get him on a jig too

That is indeed a pickhandle or Barracouta and Hairtail do not have a forked tail ,hence their name :biggrin2:

Regards Stewy

hey andrew nice work on the fish mate, good to see ya fitting in a nice session..... i hope u had the chance to get your 1 meter plus kingy. i went out with family yesterday landbased and just caught a couple of 20cm snappers. all the best with the fishing season only a couple weeks left of uni and game on. kingfish !!! talk to u soon

The long silver fish is indeed a Barracouta.

I know they don't rate very well but it was big (113cm) and the first one i had caught, so worthy of a pic i thought. And yes, it was caught on jig - 200g black magic in blue.

I will be trying the raw stripey very soon. Hopefully it is as good as to what people have said.