Woolooware Bay

mako1

Hit Woolooware bay today in the kayak.

Dropped off some crab nets and then headed for the moored boats near the mouth.

Trolled some small hard bodies close to the boats and I picked up three nice bream.

post-2229-1255257037_thumb.jpgpost-2229-1255257048_thumb.jpgpost-2229-1255257060_thumb.jpg

They all put up a great fight. Had two more good hits but missed the hook ups.

Caught some more small bream on the troll and then I went and checked the nets.

They were empty so I moved them to a new spot and then I headed for the flats near the

end of the bay in search of some flatties.

First pass over the flats produced a nice flattie.

post-2229-1255257073_thumb.jpg

Second pass I get a really nice hit which I thought was a good flattie as it wasn’t fighting much at first but it came to life close to the yak and it turned out to be a nice bream.

post-2229-1255257082_thumb.jpg

Third pass produced a nice trevally which at first I thought was a bream as it buried me straight into a clump of weed but I eventually worked it out of the weed.

post-2229-1255257094_thumb.jpg

Caught some more just undersize bream and flatties and then I went to check the nets.

No crabs in the nets so I packed them up and headed back to the moored boats. I think it's still a bit early for the crabs.

As I was trolling back to the boats I passed over the deeper water in the middle of the bay and had a screaming run on the pink attack lure but everything went slack soon after. I inspected the lure and found a bent back hook. I changed the hook and trolled back over the area but had no more hits.

I arrived at the moored boats and strait away picked up too just undersize bream and a winter whiting. Just as I was passing the last large boat I had a hit and after a good fight I landed my first luderick on a lure.

post-2229-1255257108_thumb.jpg

Trolled back around the boats on the outer edge and picked up another nice bream.

post-2229-1255257120_thumb.jpg

The wind started to pick up and after a few more small bream I headed for home.

post-2229-1255257131_thumb.jpg

Great catch Mako,

When you say woolooware bay do you mean part of port hacking or the bay off Botany with all the oyster leases?

We went into the oysters yesterday and came out empty handed!! :( We figured the water was too cold (only 14.8 degrees) so headed up river... and still came home with no bream (the species we were targeting)!!

Great catch Mako,

When you say woolooware bay do you mean part of port hacking or the bay off Botany with all the oyster leases?

We went into the oysters yesterday and came out empty handed!! :( We figured the water was too cold (only 14.8 degrees) so headed up river... and still came home with no bream (the species we were targeting)!!

It's the one just in from Botany with all of the leases.

Did you fish baits or lures?

The bream, trevally and flathead I caught on the flats near the leases all had what looked like small gobies ranging from about 2cm to 4cm in their stomachs.The bream I caught near the boats had empty stomachs but they still had quite a large amount of fat in them. All of the fish were quite aggressive and hit the lures really hard.

Nice allround session Mako and some good information upfront and also in between the lines.....The upper Georges seems to be firing well for all species, but the shortage of blue swimmers crabs is probably due to the fact that we might need a heat wave to have more of springtime summer effect on the cold fronts...

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1: