Westhead Samon Action

framedtrash

plan for the day was to take my bro and his mate to box head for a surf then catch up with Jewiehaven for some kings

halfway across the heads run into a massive school of sambos

i took it upon myself to call off there surf and try to catch some sambos

i had rods in the boat but no lures for sambos

i had 1 metal slice so we took turns throwing it out

i connected to some monsters but the hook wasnt setting

got 1 solid one aboard

sadly my brother ended up loosing the only slice i had in the boat as seen in the "snapp" video

at first i thought it must of been a big sambo that did it untill i watched the video of him and i see him doing the drag up 3 times on 8lb line no wonder it snapped

also caught a heap of chompers around the salmon was good fun

heres some videos

Boil Ups

Results

dsc00472a.jpg

Edited by Framedtrash

i was surprised how long they stuck around for

we got there at like 8am and left at around 11 to check out box head

on the return they were still there i had to drive past and not look at them otherwise i would of gone back

i ended up dropping my bro off and went and chased kings for the rest of the arvo

was a great day out

Good lookin Sambo mate :)

Sorry I missed ya was already settled on the sand, I got a little Blue Spot Flattie on mullet gut and nothin else after that.

Current was ripping across and I had to use snapper leads to hold bottom and I was down the far end of Palmy next to Barrenjoey.

Found a good gutter but the waves were breaking so far our I had to wait for the lull between sets to cast out and half of the beach seemed to have washed away with the storms earlier in the week.

(in case I used to be a wax head when I was younger so I know the lingo).... hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

There were heaps of surfers out and some were right on Barrenjoey headland and getting into some good barrels, but where I was lots of close-outs, lol

Wished I had my Mal with me I coulda paddled the bait out as opposed to fishin 3/4 way out to the sand bar where it was churning whitewater all arvo

Anyways, the rain get the better of me @ 2pm and I decided call it quits, my mate arrived as I was leavin so not the ideal day all round- seems I just couldnt coordinate anything yesterday which was a shame.

There's always next time so let me know when you are heading out next- this time I'll bring along all my slices and we can have a good ol chuck, hope they hang around for a bit.

Did you see any noahs crusin behind the school??? usually you will see hammers and bronzies just in behind the school after the bust-up and they just hang back and eat the left overs.

Friggin missed out BIG TIME didnt I... oh well, my loss :(

Good lookin Sambo mate :)

Sorry I missed ya was already settled on the sand, I got a little Blue Spot Flattie on mullet gut and nothin else after that.

Current was ripping across and I had to use snapper leads to hold bottom and I was down the far end of Palmy next to Barrenjoey.

Found a good gutter but the waves were breaking so far our I had to wait for the lull between sets to cast out and half of the beach seemed to have washed away with the storms earlier in the week.

(in case I used to be a wax head when I was younger so I know the lingo).... hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

There were heaps of surfers out and some were right on Barrenjoey headland and getting into some good barrels, but where I was lots of close-outs, lol

Wished I had my Mal with me I coulda paddled the bait out as opposed to fishin 3/4 way out to the sand bar where it was churning whitewater all arvo

Anyways, the rain get the better of me @ 2pm and I decided call it quits, my mate arrived as I was leavin so not the ideal day all round- seems I just couldnt coordinate anything yesterday which was a shame.

There's always next time so let me know when you are heading out next- this time I'll bring along all my slices and we can have a good ol chuck, hope they hang around for a bit.

Did you see any noahs crusin behind the school??? usually you will see hammers and bronzies just in behind the school after the bust-up and they just hang back and eat the left overs.

Friggin missed out BIG TIME didnt I... oh well, my loss :(

yeh it was quite the day

on the way over the box head there was a whale and calf doing some jumps just out of the front on palmy headland

and just outfront of lion island we had dolpins swim by

didnt see any noahs but im sure they where there

every time i connected to a sambo it felt like i was onto a kingie

forgot how fun fishing can be when using really light gear

i need to go and get some new slices this week going to replace all the trebles on them with some new owner trebles it was heart breaking to be fighting a good size fish only to have the lure come out of its mouth

and there was another first for the day i got bitten on the finger by a little cuttle fish

i had him on the DR and at the end of the day i was releasing him and he grabbed my finger with his tentacles and gave me a little nip

ha great day on the water

Edited by Framedtrash

Hey Guys,

That sounds like fun with the sambos especially on the light tackle... shame i did not end up going as i had a late night on Saturday woke up feeling pretty ordinary.

JewieHaven, We will have to meet up some other time.

Ill try and get up to Avoca this saturday for a afternoon bash as it gets pretty crowded there during the day we will have to see how the weather holds up.

Regards,

Nathan

Hey Guys,

That sounds like fun with the sambos especially on the light tackle... shame i did not end up going as i had a late night on Saturday woke up feeling pretty ordinary.

JewieHaven, We will have to meet up some other time.

Ill try and get up to Avoca this saturday for a afternoon bash as it gets pretty crowded there during the day we will have to see how the weather holds up.

Regards,

Nathan

Nathan,

if Avoca is over crowded you should go round to the Shark Tower or even further round to Nth Avoca, ther eis a bombie off nth Avoca Point and is within casting distance with a good rod and reel and right lead.

BUT, the downside is the swell can be pretty rough at Nth end and its quite dangerous- I used to fish off the cliff @ Nth Avoca for Salmon, Taylor and Noahs, but it was closed 10 years ago after those real bad storms and a land slide washed half of the cliff into the water.

Its really deep on the inside of the bombie they call it "the cod hole" and its where me and one of my olf mates used to catch flatties up to 85cm, it also holds big arse groper and schools of sweep and smaller snapper.

You have picked a great time to head up that way, I will be up at my Mum's in Gosford this weekend too, if I have an hour or so spare I might stop by and see how you are getting on, but I will have the kids and Mrs with me so no fishing gear will be taken this weekend.

I guess if all else fails you could head to McMasters Beach or further into Broken Bay like Killcare and Pearl Beach, both these are good for Sambo's and taylor- have caught Jew and Flatties from both aswell in recent years.

Good luck and might give you a buzz on the weekend

Chat soon