Busted Fish Finder

FishDrought

G'day Raider's.

For something different I am looking for some advice? and any info would be greatly appreciated.

Stuff up number one: After a pretty useless Saturday afternoon session on the Georges, we only managed one legal Flatty before returning soaked to the boat ramp. While unpacking the boat I placed the sounder screen in my backpack which I then promptly knocked off the side of the boat.

The screen ( a Garmin FF-140) is now cracked & I have no idea if it is possible to replace the screen /LCD unit or is it better to just buy a new unit when I can spare the cash?

I am hoping a Raider may have some advice?

Stuff up number two: I am having trouble with the electric T&T, I have not a clue how they work and the unit that is fitted to my tinny is some American company I have never heard of. The unit is a "panther" T&T from Marine Tech (I think). I have power running to the relay as I can hear click over but the tilt occassionally just won't move, or will run intermittently, sometimes there is a slower more strained noise when raising then when dropping the motor.

It looks like there is a 'breather" pipe which runs into the motor housing and is not capped off, is it possible this could have let water into the unit?

I have no idea and chasing the old dealer is not really an option..

Thanks for any resonses.

Cheers

Jason

Jason, re your sounder, you used to be able to go to GME at Gladesville and buy a reconned sounder head for Garmin stuff. I had a 140 which got water into it and bought a reco head unit for about $120. However, I think Garmin is now independant of GME but make the call anyway & find out. Failing that, it sounds like it is only the perspex covering on yours which is cracked, so if you are confident enough you can take it apart & maybe go to a plastic place for a replacement piece. The plastic is only a covering from memory and is there to protect the more delicate part of the unit, so you should be able to replace it without too much drama.( I took my 140 apart when it got water into it, but the water was right into the unit itself.)

That should save you some bucks. Let me know if I can help you.

Cheers, Tuffy

Tuffy,

Thanks for the info I called GME, just to provide an update they don't have anything to do with Garmin anymore as apparently Garmin have opened their own place at Seven Hills, so all warranties/repairs etc take place there now? I guess.

I have to chase them up in 4 weeks minimum to see if they can get a recon unit for me. thanks for the tip again Tuffy.