4-7kg Rod - What Lb Braid?

hcwang

Hi everyone, i'm thinking of respooling my reel.

I have two spools, both being used with a 4-7kg rod primarily. Sometimes use it with a beach rod thats 5-8kg.

Should I spool one with braid and one with mono or just go braid for both?

It gets used for bait fishing as well as chucking lures like xraps and 1/4oz spinning with plastics

I've heard mono is better for spinning lures because the elasticity is good for setting the hook?

Thanks for any help :thumbup:

I think it depends what your preference is mate i prefer braid for flicking plastics and hard bodies because i can really feel every little nip and i think it's easier to tell the difference between a snag and a bite.

but i like mono because it's less visible and if you get a heavy strike on a stiff tipped rod i feel more comfortable knowing how close it is to breaking because of the stretch :)

If you're using the right rod it's action and reaction to the strike should be as good as you need to set the hook anyway :)

Cheers and beers, Mick :beersmile:

I think it depends what your preference is mate i prefer braid for flicking plastics and hard bodies because i can really feel every little nip and i think it's easier to tell the difference between a snag and a bite.

but i like mono because it's less visible and if you get a heavy strike on a stiff tipped rod i feel more comfortable knowing how close it is to breaking because of the stretch :)

If you're using the right rod it's action and reaction to the strike should be as good as you need to set the hook anyway :)

Cheers and beers, Mick :beersmile:

I would say one spool of each, apparently if you use braid when beach fishing the sand can get into the weaves and stuff the braid up but i dont know if ths true or not??

Yer so one spool of each, i agree with cfw braid for sp's and hb's and i like to use mono for bait fishing exept blackfishing then ill use braid, but thats just another opinoin and it entirley up to you

Hope this helps

Cheers, Zac

cheers guys.

I was pretty sure about using braid and mono but i'm not sure of the poundages. Is 30lb overkill?

The reel has a max drag capacity of 11lb/15lb depending on which site you look at. I would say its definitely atleast 11lb so it can handle 20-30lb no problems right?

I would say one spool of each, apparently if you use braid when beach fishing the sand can get into the weaves and stuff the braid up but i dont know if ths true or not??

Yer so one spool of each, i agree with cfw braid for sp's and hb's and i like to use mono for bait fishing exept blackfishing then ill use braid, but thats just another opinoin and it entirley up to you

Hope this helps

Cheers, Zac

why mono for baitfishing? Isn't braid better since you can feel the bites better?

i love braid but i dont love the tangles i get.

recently switched over to mono for all my beach stuff, or whenever im near sand. really prefer it. that said with a bit of care - either one works just fine.