Good Day On The Flatties

jenno64

Headed out with a mate yesterday morning to the area where I got the jew on Sunday, hoping for a few flatties for a feed last night(The jewey fed over a dozen people throughout the week!). Had plan B ready in case the predicted wind came up but all was pretty calm so I trolled mt triumphant jew conquering lure along with another new prawn like HB behind for an hour without interest. As the tide picked up some outrun, I came up tight on a fish that didn't put up much stoush until it got close and whoah!! big unhappy fish! This flatty was at least 60-65cm and it deathrolled before spitting the hooks and gliding peacefully to the bottom. I don't often lose flatties on these lures with 2 sets of trebles but I had replaced the jewey crushed trebles with not so effective models. Feeling good about the action , I convinced my mate to give up the plastics and troll with me. I picked up a 46cm flatty just before a drop-off and then over near the channel, as we were chatting, my rod with the river2sea prawn lure buckled over and it was on! In a minte or 2 I was hooting as a big mumma came up to say hi. Into the net then on the lie-detector on my lap....75cm. She was going back but I hooked her up to a tow line that works like a plastic lip grip and towed her over to a quiet beach for a release. I took a shot on the mat and let her go ...following her out with the camera on video. Back to the yak and I picke dup another good fish in unlikely water and it fought much harder than the previous one but came up a fair bit smaller. Good news was the feed was complete with a fat 58cm flatty. All in all a great day, one good fish lost, one better fish landed and released and 2 to feed us tonight. The wind came up around 11am and we scarpered. My mate managed a few undersized flatties and others but struggled a bit with the tide running and paddling. Go the Hobie!

Check out the release!

BTW I just bought an 8 megapixel water proof (to 10m) camera from Aldi for $199. I'll post to let you know how it goes

post-4017-1255644213_thumb.jpg

post-4017-1255644229_thumb.jpg

post-4017-1255644252_thumb.jpg

Edited by jenno64

Just curious, I've never fished the georges before and I'm keen to get onto a couple of flatties (mainly for eating). Are there any good land-based options there? And is it safe to eat the fish??

Cheers!

Oh, and good catch too!!

Edited by abecedarian