Fish Finder Help

deano2233

Hi Raiders,

i need some advice, i bought a garmin fishfinder 90 the other day, its pretty standard but im just putting it on my tinny (quintrex 395 dart) for the hacking and georges river so it should do. i bought it pretty cheap and was quoted a price to install it however the installation price has risen substantially and well i cant justify paying someone that sort of coin for what seems a pretty standard job and i love working on my boat. so i have done a bit of research and have a fair idea of how we are going to install it but i am worried about where to put the transducer because if its not in the right place the sounder wont work properly. can anyone give me some advise or tips on where exactly to put it??? the other question i have is i will need a battery can anyone reccomend a battery??? it will be used for the fish finder and possibly some nav lights a bit further down the track. ill need one that can charge at home and lasts a good amount of time running the fishfinder and lights??? can anyone reccomend the type of battery im looking for and where i might get one. also when doing the wiring can i just hook the wires onto the battery or is it something more complicated than that?? any and all advise is appreciated.

Cheers

Deano.

installing a finder is very easy

just read threw the manual and it will show you how to install it and the correct location to mount the transducer

any marine battery will work even a car battery will but best to stick to a marine deep cycle

all you need to do is connect the positive to the positive and the negative to the negative

the finder should come with a inline fuse already so no need to wire one up

since its in a tinny best to keep the battery in a battery box to keep the salt water off the connections

very simple to setup just read the manual and you will be fine

and dont forget red is positve black is ground or in some cases brown is positive black is ground

forgot one thing since its a tinny instead of mounting the transducer directly onto the boat you might want to mount it on a transducer bracket this allows you to move the transducer up and down and even remove it from the back of the boat if the need arrises they cost around $40

32383_lg.jpg

Edited by Framedtrash

Hi 5star, due to the limited number of electricals that draw a lot of power on your small 3.9 open tinny, and the fact that a sounder doesn't use much power when you have it on, it might be a better idea to do what I was advised to do with my side console boat, which by the way is has a lot of lighting on it and is less than a metre longer than your boat... I sought a second opinion and was again advised to buy a second starter battery as a back up and for night fishing... if ever needed, switch over from one battery to the other and just keep them both topped up, rather than having to pay a lot more money for a slow cranking deep cycle battery..... if you are planning on buying a small electric motor at some time in the future, you could buy a deep cycle battery to suit it and the extra starter battery will come in handy at the stern and, if cabled to suit at the time, will still get you you back home on the electric ....

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Or, if all you are running at the moment is just your Garmin and no lights, then just buy a 17 amp hour dry cell battery which is small and will run your Garmin for about a year without recharge.Your fishfinder will only draw about .4 amps. Takes up very little space in a small boat, is light, about 3 kg, and you don't run the risk of acid spillage.

Worked for me.

Cheers, Tuffy

Edited by Tuffy

thanks for the tips guys. ill let you know how it goes. ill be doing it over the christmas holidays, but im just trying to get the things together now cos i lost my licence and wont be fishing heaps during the best part of the year. :mad3::thumbdown:

How about one of those 12V Power pack / jump starters? They also have a cig lighter outlet so you can run something else as well. Easy to charge.

Re:jewgaffers comments about electric motors - are these able to "get you home" or at least be run for long periods if required? I thought they were only useful for maneuvering- but I have no idea or experience with them at all.