What Am I Doing Wrong?

davegroves68

Hi Raiders,

I was up and on the water earl yesterday, fishing by 6.30. Tried some spots infront of Scotland Island, nothing :thumbdown: Moved on towards Carrawong , stopping along the way when i saw fish on the sounder.Still nothing, not even yakkas.I was using everthing, squid, prawns, pillies, even slimy fillets.

Moved to west head, again ....zip. Moved off to Barrenjoey near the bomie. Got what looked like a decent snapper that pulled the hook just as i was boating it. :mad3:

There were fish all over the place on the sounder but i just wasn't getting any bites. Am i doing something wrong or what?

Fished till 2pm and then finally gave up. I seem to be having a few days like this lately. I know the fish are there cos i always read Framedtrash's reports. But i keep lucking out

Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Dave

Edited by Welsh Dave

Hi Raiders,

I was up and on the water earl yesterday, fishing by 6.30. Tried some spots infront of Scotland Island, nothing :thumbdown: Moved on towards Carrawong , stopping along the way when i saw fish on the sounder.Still nothing, not even yakkas.I was using everthing, squid, prawns, pillies, even slimy fillets.

Moved to west head, again ....zip. Moved off to Barrenjoey near the bomie. Got what looked like a decent snapper that pulled the hook just as i was boating it. :mad3:

There were fish all over the place on the sounder but i just wasn't getting any bites. Am i doing something wrong or what?

Fished till 2pm and then finally gave up. I seem to be having a few days like this lately. I know the fish are there cos i always read Framedtrash's reports. But i keep lucking out

Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Dave

Dave,

I don't think you are doing anything wrong. I just think you are having a Bad run I have these quite allot.

If your after salmon they are everywhere but apart from that by what I am hearing of course not much else is on the bite!!! But things will pick up as the Water warms up!!!

Good luck anyway and ill PM when I'm going to the lake for a fish.

Regards,

Nathan

Dave, as Nathan said I dont think you are doing anything wrong.

I have exactly the same problem with my mate Eddie, we fish together at least 1 day every week and he walks away with the fish and I seem to get the yakkas, lol

next time look for the working birds and there are the Sambo's, mixed in with Kingies and taylor

I suggest chucking out a few 1/2 X 1/4 metal slices or troll some whole garfish with 4 X 3/0 ganged hooks in them, they are great for BIG Taylor and Kingies on the troll.

Or alternatively throw out shold pillies and berley up a bit to keep the bait fish and the scoll near you, often they will go down (especially if someone run straight through the middle of the school) and they will resurface later, but he have to watch the birds as they circle the school waiting for the big bust up.

Better luck next time mate, I hope it all gets better now the rivers are heating up temperature wise the Flatties will be back on the flats with Whiting and the Jew will be moving into the main harbour.

you could always try over near Box Head after rain the Jewies sit there on the edge of the reef waiting for schools of yakkas and slimeys.

nothing more goin on than the 'no fish blues' happening to me atm as well. worst thing is when you have a no fihs blues after a solid month of good runs.. always feels like i'm doing sumthing wrong.

usually i just keep on goin out fishing, till it wares off. (2 months now for me...)

Mate pittwater can be a fishos nightmare I would be kidding myself if I said I go home with fish every trip

key is fresh bait the only bait I ever buy is a block of pillies and I use them to catch bait or if there around feed the kings

chasing the birds isn't always the best method I watched 5 boats chasing around a flock of birds on the weekend all the birds wanted to do was have a rest but the boats would follow themthrn spook them so they would fly away and the boats would follow

we were out on Saturday and didn't have alot of luck as u said lots of bait on the sounder and we had quite a few boil ups which we think were tailor and kings but they would vanish by the time we arrived

we ended up hitting up the valliant for donuts then went out to the flatty grounds which wasn't the best idea as I was way too hang over

ended up chasing salmon off lion island for a few hrs

The best thing to do is have the best freshiest bait you can get and if you don't catch ne fish its coz the fish are off the bite that day come back again with the fresh bait and sooner or later there gonna be on the chew and u will clean up

we will have to catch up for a fish some time

Mate pittwater can be a fishos nightmare I would be kidding myself if I said I go home with fish every trip

key is fresh bait the only bait I ever buy is a block of pillies and I use them to catch bait or if there around feed the kings

chasing the birds isn't always the best method I watched 5 boats chasing around a flock of birds on the weekend all the birds wanted to do was have a rest but the boats would follow themthrn spook them so they would fly away and the boats would follow

we were out on Saturday and didn't have alot of luck as u said lots of bait on the sounder and we had quite a few boil ups which we think were tailor and kings but they would vanish by the time we arrived

we ended up hitting up the valliant for donuts then went out to the flatty grounds which wasn't the best idea as I was way too hang over

ended up chasing salmon off lion island for a few hrs

The best thing to do is have the best freshiest bait you can get and if you don't catch ne fish its coz the fish are off the bite that day come back again with the fresh bait and sooner or later there gonna be on the chew and u will clean up

we will have to catch up for a fish some time

Cheers for the advice Framedtrash.

I must admit i am guilty of using bait which is past its best.

I'm out there most weekends, and i have had some good ones.Tend to fish on my own lately cos my co owner of the boat (25 bertie aLCHEMY) can't get out of bed after a few beers :beersmile: . Feel free to say hi if you see me out there.

Dave

nothing more goin on than the 'no fish blues' happening to me atm as well. worst thing is when you have a no fihs blues after a solid month of good runs.. always feels like i'm doing sumthing wrong.

usually i just keep on goin out fishing, till it wares off. (2 months now for me...)

I'll just keep trying!!

Your doing nothing wrong, it just been a bit quite of late, Spring is coming latter then usual and the water is still very cold,

My advice to you is forget about the local fish wait for spring and warmer water, and instead go and chase the samon,

They taste bloody awful but there fun to catch