Tackle Discussion

david88

Hello raiders.

I am fairly new to boat fishing and hope to get out in the bay some time over the next few days.

I am reading many reports of salmon boiling up and as i have never chased these fish i could really use some info, in particular:

What spinners are people doing well with on the salmon? (specific brand, size, colour info would be really helpful)

Is it ambitous to attempt to land them on my 2500 stradic and 6'8" 3-5kg shimano rack raider or should i one of my heavier outfits? on 10lb braid mainline what leader should i use?

What is the best method of fishing for the salmon if i see a boil? (i know, dont drive through the boil!)

what poppers/ surface lures are people using to tagert kings with sucess? (again specifics would be helpfull). are these best fished just like i would a bream popper around the various markers?

Thank you all who help me with these queries as i am reaaaaally itching for some good action.

Regards, Dave.

Hello raiders.

I am fairly new to boat fishing and hope to get out in the bay some time over the next few days.

I am reading many reports of salmon boiling up and as i have never chased these fish i could really use some info, in particular:

What spinners are people doing well with on the salmon? (specific brand, size, colour info would be really helpful)

Is it ambitous to attempt to land them on my 2500 stradic and 6'8" 3-5kg shimano rack raider or should i one of my heavier outfits? on 10lb braid mainline what leader should i use?

What is the best method of fishing for the salmon if i see a boil? (i know, dont drive through the boil!)

what poppers/ surface lures are people using to tagert kings with sucess? (again specifics would be helpfull). are these best fished just like i would a bream popper around the various markers?

Thank you all who help me with these queries as i am reaaaaally itching for some good action.

Regards, Dave.

Hi Dave, I cant say that Im a good fisherman but my experience with tailor is they take anything especially a slice of any colour. Iust toss out whatever your using and reel for your life, you cant miss. Salmon on the other hand can be picky, usually they will take only lures the size of the bait ball, but my mate always seems to get them with a pillie on a ganged rig(3x3/0) My trick is to just throw a slice into them and just reef it, usually I jag 1 and haul it in. Great fighting fish but not much chop to eat, so catch and release is the go there. I take 1 for fishcakes and leave the heroes to the rest. (Thai fishcakes yummm) I usually get bonito on hard bodies shallow or deep diving, trolling. I dont think colour or size is important(only my opinion) As for kingies I will leave that to someone with more experience than me. I hope to change that this summer!!! Any outfit is good, its just how much time you want to spend getting it to the boat, as for leaders that would depend on the size of the fish. On your 10lb braid I would use 15lb mono, but others would use heavier. Good luck, half the fun is trying.

Edited by adjustedpete

Thanks Pete, some helpful information.

Couldnt agree with you more about the "Half the fun is trying". I just had to ask as i have limited budget and didnt want to buy any tackle thats not going to work.

Cheers

Regards Dave.

hi David88

i caught a couple of 65-70cm salmon the other day on the bay with 10lb mono and 20gm metal slice. Took me about 15min to land them and got busted off by a few too.

Ideally 30lb mono or braid wouldve been perfect but sometimes its more fun when its heart in the mouth action using light line on powerful fish.

Best method would prob be to cast into far side of school with metal slice and crank as fast as possible as soon as it hits the water. or gang hook pillies or fillets cast into school let it drop a bit and slowly reel it in.

Try to "match the hatch"

As for Kingies... use heavier rod and line at least 30lb ... live bait is prob best ... so if you can get some small yellowtail, slimies or squid, use a running sinker rig with heavy sinker and 1.5m trace.... drop the live bait to the bottm and wind it up a couple of metres. Thats prob gonna be bring the most success with kings over lures and plastic.

hi David88

i caught a couple of 65-70cm salmon the other day on the bay with 10lb mono and 20gm metal slice. Took me about 15min to land them and got busted off by a few too.

Ideally 30lb mono or braid wouldve been perfect but sometimes its more fun when its heart in the mouth action using light line on powerful fish.

Best method would prob be to cast into far side of school with metal slice and crank as fast as possible as soon as it hits the water. or gang hook pillies or fillets cast into school let it drop a bit and slowly reel it in.

Try to "match the hatch"

As for Kingies... use heavier rod and line at least 30lb ... live bait is prob best ... so if you can get some small yellowtail, slimies or squid, use a running sinker rig with heavy sinker and 1.5m trace.... drop the live bait to the bottm and wind it up a couple of metres. Thats prob gonna be bring the most success with kings over lures and plastic.

That's some good info there mate. Thanks for sharing

Cheers Joe :1fishing1:

Salmon and Kings can both be very fussy when they want to be, with salmon often there isn't an inbetween size, its either a really small minnow/slice or a 6 inch sluggo that will do the trick. Rapala are generally my first choice for hard bodies and for sluggos i like the bass assasin stick baits. These will of course work on all other pelagics.

Kings sluggos are usually best, even up to 9inch, poppers either halco roosta or cotton cordell work well, diving x-raps are great too.

For line i catch salmon on 4lb without any problem frequently, when fish are feeding on the surface its a long way to the bottom to bust you off, you just have to take your time and know how to play the fish. Kings go a bit harder and can be dirtier so on the surface you'll get away with 10lb or a bit less but 20lb braid is a safe option.

Tailor will take anything anytime but your trace shouldn't be any less than 10-15lb or you'll lose a lot of lures. Bonnies dont hit the surface that much, i get more trolling so diving minnows are the go.

Also, have a look at how the fish are feeding and mimic your action to that i.e. slow retrieve if they're cruisy or fast if they're really boiling.

Good luck

Josh

Hi Dave, sent you a PM in regards to your Q's, just chuck plastics around, Bonnies, Kings, Salmon, they all smash 'em, even the cheapy plastics do the job, no need for expensive metals and hard bodies..

Hi David -

Your outfit sounds perfect for chasing Salmon - and plenty of good advice given here so far.

Maybe get hold of some sqidgy resin heads and natural coloured flick baits (Green Meenie & Evil Minnow colours). You may not be able to hurtle them to far though - but great if the school is close. I have used these before with success. However it depends what the salmon are into at the time.

The 7gram R2 Sea rocks have also worked well in the past.

Cheers n goodluck

John