Tacho Issues...

jim77

Hi Guys

Hoping someone out there might be able to help me... I recently installed a Faria Tachometer for my Johnson 90 hp - Yr 2000 model. It has never had a tacho before - or not since i have owned it - so i was keen to check WOT etc etc.

Anyway installed the gauge and it all seemed to be working ok. It works fine up to approx 2000 revs and then when i open it up above that the needle starts to swing violently between 0 and whatever the revs are at. I checked connections and they all look good. Checked that i have it on the correct engine setting - i am reckoning "12 pole" is the correct one for my engine?

But here is the really strange thing... When i operate my trim switch the needle stops swinging and it gives a steady reading of what the revs are at!

Can anyone make any suggestions as to how i might stop the erratic needle swinging or think of anything that i have done or missed that might be causing the problem?

Cheers

Jim

Jim, have a look on the back of the Tacho and you may find a small plastic knob with a screwdriver slot in it. If this is a generic tacho then you can adjust by turning this small knob with a small scewdriver - it will have 4 different settings - just push in and turn to next setting and test the motor. You can do this on the water with the motor running. If the tacho is what I think it is, it is designed to suit a number of different motors, just adjust to suit your engine.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Tuffy