Preference Of Leaders

Juzza

Well, you have a choice of Mono/fluoro....

'High quality' leader material costs ALOT (usually fluorocarbon)! Compared to just mono and fluorocarbon.

For example: Blackmagic..

55 or so metres-----> is about the same price as about 1000m of the equivalent mono/fluro

What are your choices for soft plastic fishing and do you think it makes a difference to your fishing?

Justin :1fishing1:

I use Sunline products and am very pleased with the results. The 'feel' of the Sunline products, and it's performance/resilience around structure is pretty good. There are dearer products on the market, but I have found something I like, for a reasonable price, so the money saved can go towards more plastics/lures :biggrin2:

Cheers

Hodgey

Yeh Hodgey has definitely nailed it

Sunline is awesome stuff

my standard bream/bass leader for a while now is siglon 4kg mono (i am into my second 300m spool)

great knot strength, abrasion resistance ect

I also use basic FC as well, but i like the fact mono does not sink when fishing on top

cheers

bm

I've recently been using berkley vanish FC leader on braid and I have managed some incredible tangles with paternoster rigs & variations when fishing in heavy current.

Prior to this I used mono exclusively and I've never had these problems before.

I also seem to be able to generate a lot of line twist in 6lb braid as a result.

I'm trying to sort out where I am going wrong - it could be the FC, my knots or the rig I am using. My mate ties the same rigs with mono leader and doesn't have the problems I do. Could still be my knots though.

Im another fan of Sunline FC Rock for all my leaders

However the other day bought a 250m spool of 20lb Berkley Vanish for

$25 so if that performs as well as Sunline I'll stick with Vanish at that

price

The vanish is nice and cheap and if you need a lot of it then it's definitely an economical way to go. That said, I do find it to be quite a bit thicker than the "better" flurocarbons (like Famell fluro rock fish, Sunline FC rock etc.) which does make a difference to your knot size if that's an issue. Also, the abrasion resistance isn't as good, fishing for big flatties on 6lb vanish seems to be a lot more risky than on 6lb famell or sunline, which is important when you're fishing SX40s or similar and need to go down to 6lb to get a good action out of the lure...

Just think how many expensive lures you could save by spending that bit extra on good quality leader material. It can pay for itself and I think can be easily justified...

i aslo use the rock ,im happy with it,its cheap,my mate uses an expensive japeniese brand ,that i cant rememebr ,but it definetly lasts longer,wears better,but to me not work the extra 300%

i think fluro helps me by

giving me confidence,i dont want to be wondering that my mono leader is spooking fish

and fluro wears much better ,so your less likely to wear through a leader on a fish

cheers arman

• 2 weeks later...

Personally i dont like using knots from the fishing trip before....so i do go through a fair bit of flourocarbon, Vanish is the cheapest and little stiffer than FC Rock, i use Vanish when im going for flatties and FC Rock in all other situations...

In all honesty though i saw and felt some expensive Flourocarbon, again, some Japanese brand, it was 12 pound but felt like 6 pound mono, and i feel this would make the difference between catching and not catching when the fish are feeling a bit shy...

Better get myself to the tackle shop....

Hi all, I always use fluro leaders, usually FC Rock but sometimes i use a Japanese line which had a big V on the packet, the rest of the writing is in Japanese Its well worth the $35 or so for 50m of 25lb. It lasts for yonks and doesn't damage at all. Using a good leader gives me confidence when fishing so i guess its just up to personal preference and trial/error.

Cheers YG

For lures and sp's I use daiwa td competition fluro, off the rocks for blackies I use spiderwire as its cheaper and I go through a bit and for heavier leader (30lb to 60lb) I use pioneer saltwater. For me they are all reasonably priced and do the job quite nicely.

• 2 weeks later...

Nitlon FC.

Best I've use by a long way. :biggrin2:

Cheers,

Grant.

Heard that said before about this nitlon fluoro Grant when Jim and I drove up to the big place in the main street in the Tweed to buy some stuff one time.. This local who looked the part was saying it's one of the best anti abrasion fluoros you can buy and also mentioned that he mainly uses rappala slam baits for his jacks, so these slam baits may be worth a try I'd say .. Jim and Jay went up to the big place on the highway on the Gold Coast to do a bit of shopping and picked a packet of 5 inch Byron brand sp/s as a gift to myself for when Jim came down, they look good and have top 6/0s but I've never heard of the brand and haven't had a chance to use any as yet...

Might be time to look up Jay again Grant, Jay's been getting among the downriver Jack and I believe he's boatless at the moment, and you might get time to put him onto a few up your way too...

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Really happy with Nitlon and Sunline Flurocarbon leaders , as for using a 250m spool of Vanish im not a 100 pecrent sure with vanish... but spools that size are generally main line fluro's for fishing staight through from reel to lure or bait .The small spools of Leader are generally harder and more abrasion resistant they may carry the same brand name but can often have a different formula to give you different properties that are better in a leader line .

Sunline also does small spools of mono leader for surace lures it's very clear hard and has performed well for me .

Bubba