Diving Minnows For Tailor

trungie

Caught some tailor last week on pillies which was great fun. I tried metal but they wouldn't take it.

I was thinking, do tailor take diving minnows? If so, can anyone suggest a good one to buy/use.

Cheers.

Tailor love diving lures. Try some of the Yozuri or Rapala XR lures with different bib sizes, troll around and once you find them just start casting at them, it can be like shooting fish in a barrell at times. The good thing with HB's over plastics for tailor is that they they aren't a throw away item after 1 fish and the risk of getting bitten off is minimised given the length of the lure.

G'day GeekFisherman,

Tailor love diving minnows... Rapala Magnum CD7s or CD9s are irresistable to them but almost any lure that swims well will get chomped.

Cheers, Slinky

Thanks Slinky, this is what im looking for. Will look out for it next time at the tackle store.

• 3 weeks later...

If you end up giving sp's a go, definitely put a stinger hook on the end as they always smash the tail end.

I swear evertime I troll a gold 'bomber' a tailor smashes it!

Like everyone said they take pretty much anything and everything... But my gold bombers is an absolute tailor whore!! (I think it's a bomber-a). This one lure has been in circulation for ages now they last really well - I actually think it's a little more solid than the x-raps, and a little cheaper.

tailor will take just about anything as others have said, ive got them on pillies, squid, metal lures, divers, poppers,

they are sensational to catch, ive caught them, in the surf, off warfs, in the bays, in estuaries, you name it, their canabals,aerobatic, tough fighters, a great sportfish

We ran into a school of tailor feeding last week and in one ten minute sesion they were caught on small metal slices of 7gm (which "matched the hatch" of the small baitfish they were feeding on. However they also took 5inch plastics, and interestingly enough a fairly big 7inch hardbody.