Evinrude 90hp 1996 With Oil Leak

wttmrwolf

I have an Evinrude 90HP with oil injection VRO. Its only got 200 hours on the clock and well maintained, yearly service.

After some trips there is about 50 to 100mm of oil that appears to leak out of the VRO oil pump and collect in the base of the cover then trickle down the outside of the main shaft. Sometimes there is a small pool on the ground after a couple of days (viscous oil takes some time to reach ground).

Just wondering if this is normal. It doesn't happen after every trip out so I'm just wondering if its:

1) normal

2) related to the style of driving, ie trolling vs WOT cruzing

Mechanic suggested replacing the VRO but I don't see why thats necessary with the motor appears to be running fine and there are no oil warnings. Starts first go every time and purrs like a tiger (2 -stroke style).

Of course I'm getting it checked but seems excessive to replace one of the most expensive components on a hunch.

Just wondering if other 2-stroke engine owners have seen this before. Maybe its normal 2 stroke behaviour.

Any advise greatly appreciated.

I'm pretty good at figuring this out if someone can point me in the right direction. Last problem turned out to be wrong model spark plugs being installed by mechanic.

One thought is to totally disassemble the VRO and check all internals for cracks, damage. Plus check all hoses etc. I have full service manual.

Wttmrwolf

Edited by wttmrwolf

HI, I hope you are not taking it to the same guy that fitted the wrong plugs (you should be using QL78YC in you OIS igniton system) and suggested a new VRO or more technically called an OMS. If an engine runs cold, uses cheap oil and/or sucks air on the fuel side of the system she will use more oil and have excess like you are seeing that runs out the carby when tilted. Your engine when running as designed and using good oil should not have this issue.

Of course if the oil supply line is loose on the pump that would also cause this, but easy to check by priming the system.

If you know what you are doing it is very easy to bench test the oil system and confirm it passes the tests and as I said the biggest problem is aerated fuel on the fuel side of the OMS and that causes more oil to be pumped causing a rich mixture. Mininium grade oil should be XD-50, best oil is the XD-100 and you need to make sure she is coming upto temp at low speed-again all very easy if someone knows what they are doing.

Cheers,

Huey.

Edited by Huey @ Huett Marine