Daiwa Td Sol 2000 - Strip Down

slinkymalinky

Well, Mrs Slinky caught a little flatty today, and when it flipped around, she dropped the flatty and her (my) outfit.

I now have a Daiwa TD Sol 2000 that's been for a swim in salty, muddy water... not surprisingly it's strip down time.

I've been stripping down and servicing reels for most of my life but this is the first 'new generation' Daiwa spin reel I've pulled down... and be stuffed if I can get it apart.

I've got it stripped down to here

post-6175-1257675257_thumb.jpg

Lots of salt water and grit in places it shouldn't be so there's no option... it has to come apart, get cleaned and re-lubed. Does anyone know the sequence to remove the drive gear so I can get at the interior components and right hand side bearing?

There has to be a clip, screw or spring I'm missing that's preventing me from removing it... it looks like the anti-return cam needs to come out first but can't see how.

If no one can help, I'm going to have to admit defeat and for the first time ever, have to send away a reel for only a service without needing new parts. :1badmood: And it will have to be tomorrow.

Mrs Slinky's comment was "when did they start making reels that couldn't get wet?" :1badmood::1badmood:

Well, Mrs Slinky caught a little flatty today, and when it flipped around, she dropped the flatty and her (my) outfit.

I now have a Daiwa TD Sol 2000 that's been for a swim in salty, muddy water... not surprisingly it's strip down time.

I've been stripping down and servicing reels for most of my life but this is the first 'new generation' Daiwa spin reel I've pulled down... and be stuffed if I can get it apart.

I've got it stripped down to here

post-6175-1257675257_thumb.jpg

Lots of salt water and grit in places it shouldn't be so there's no option... it has to come apart, get cleaned and re-lubed. Does anyone know the sequence to remove the drive gear so I can get at the interior components and right hand side bearing?

There has to be a clip, screw or spring I'm missing that's preventing me from removing it... it looks like the anti-return cam needs to come out first but can't see how.

If no one can help, I'm going to have to admit defeat and for the first time ever, have to send away a reel for only a service without needing new parts. :1badmood: And it will have to be tomorrow.

Mrs Slinky's comment was "when did they start making reels that couldn't get wet?" :1badmood::1badmood:

Sheesh Tony the only man I know that could advise you there would be Ange aka Red. :thumbup:

msswordie

Hi Tony, like your good self, i'm not familiar with that particular reel however its got to be something easy. First, try removing the anti-reverse switch. If it doesn't have a screw, try moving the anti-reverse switch to the centre position and see if you can jiggle the main gear out.

Failing that, turn the gear and see if you have access to the back of the main shaft. I'm sure you've probably tried this already. If you still have no joy, send it my way. I'd love to have a play.

Cheers

Red

Hi Tony - I Googled the schematic - assume you have it to. Does not seem to show anything that would stop the gear assembly from parting company with the side plate. No clips or screw. The only reference to parts on the inside of the gear (wher you cant see) are a bearing and and an o-ring parts 62 & 63 respectively. Maybe the bearing outer diameter is tight in the side plate housing and needs some judicious encouragement. Good luck

Cheers John

• 2 weeks later...