Last Saturday

tuffy

G'day Raiders,

Just a brief report from last Saturday. Took the boat out to run in the new Honda 50 and just in case I took 1 rod with me. Got to Kirribilli Point about 12.30 and the gulls were going bonkers just near Taronga Park. Chased the bubbling schools around for about 40 mins throwing everything I had at them but no takes. Finally got the poops and started dragging a surface lure around the point at HMAS Sydney. These schools were surfacing for about 30 seconds and disappearing just as quick only to surface again about 200 meters away. Trolled around a wide arc hoping they would come back to me and then BANG - I'm on. Something taking braid at a great rate. Finally after about 5 mins I got this bugger to the boat - about 45cm tailor - you beauty, fresh smoked tailor for dinner. It was just then that all hell broke loose - yachts everywhere and someone yells out " Get outa the f***inf way, you idiot". So there I am, trying to grab the net / start the motor to avoid the yacht / the phone starts ringing and the fishes head lifts out of the water and - PING!!! - bloody leader breaks.

Fresh tailor remains fresh and casually swims away with my free magazine lure in its chops! Bugger!!!

Just another day in Paradise.

Tuffy

Got to Kirribilli Point about 12.30 and the gulls were going bonkers just near Taronga Park. Chased the bubbling schools around for about 40 mins throwing everything I had at them but no takes.

I was landbased at Bradley's head on Sunday morning watching these schools bust up everywhere from the point all the way to Taronga zoo. Just out of casting range for me. There were boats everywhere but no one seemed to be catching. Eventually they came in close enough for a few casts at them and I bagged a clonker salmon. There's a lot to be had if you can get in amongst them!

G'day Raiders,

Just a brief report from last Saturday. Took the boat out to run in the new Honda 50 and just in case I took 1 rod with me. Got to Kirribilli Point about 12.30 and the gulls were going bonkers just near Taronga Park. Chased the bubbling schools around for about 40 mins throwing everything I had at them but no takes. Finally got the poops and started dragging a surface lure around the point at HMAS Sydney. These schools were surfacing for about 30 seconds and disappearing just as quick only to surface again about 200 meters away. Trolled around a wide arc hoping they would come back to me and then BANG - I'm on. Something taking braid at a great rate. Finally after about 5 mins I got this bugger to the boat - about 45cm tailor - you beauty, fresh smoked tailor for dinner. It was just then that all hell broke loose - yachts everywhere and someone yells out " Get outa the f***inf way, you idiot". So there I am, trying to grab the net / start the motor to avoid the yacht / the phone starts ringing and the fishes head lifts out of the water and - PING!!! - bloody leader breaks.

Fresh tailor remains fresh and casually swims away with my free magazine lure in its chops! Bugger!!!

Just another day in Paradise.

Tuffy

Jeez Tuffy,

I have a real beef with some yachties, dont even get me started.

So you were NOT propelling your vessel via motor power as you stated you were trying to start your motor- is that correct? My understanding is that you are not obliged to move your vessel as you normally would if you were driving it under propulsion of motor. Therefore the yachtie did not have the right to tell you to move. Did I get this right ? I believe I did but if someone knows better please say so. Sure you would come out second best if struck so it pays to have your wits about you.

I occasionally fish in the river at anchor and not in the middle of the channel - I get umpteen vessels from windsurfers to 2-man yachts using my anchored vessel as a buoy! They often fly by me so close they cut my lines and very nearly pick up my anchor rope! One day somebody might just do that but I hope not as they may end up getting hurt - but the gall of these people! We are all equally entitled to use the waterway. Perhaps it's time to take some registration numbers and make a report...

Oh and that's a real shame on that chopper - sounds like you need some crew with you...They can catch the fish and you can watch out for mad yachties :074:

Yeah boys, thanks for the show of support, however, unfortunately under maritime law, when you are drifting even with motor off, in a power boat you are considered to be "under way", and accordingly you must give way to a sail powered vessel. The only time they have to give way to you is when you are anchored.

Them's tha rules, fellas!!

Tuffy

PS. I just want my lure back!!

Yeah boys, thanks for the show of support, however, unfortunately under maritime law, when you are drifting even with motor off, in a power boat you are considered to be "under way", and accordingly you must give way to a sail powered vessel. The only time they have to give way to you is when you are anchored.

Tuffy

Thanks for the info Tuffy -

and yes, lets all join forces and try to catch that tailor with your lure in it.

Tuffy

Good one ya for holding your hands up and admitting your legal position. :thumbup: (What happens if your motor wont start?)

However..........some people, lets just say they have,,,, other forms of propulsion, can be a bit....RUDE :1badmood: and hollier than thow .

Dave

Edited by Welsh Dave

I had a similar incident in the bay a few years back. I can remeber if I was drifting or at anchor but on of the those little single person foils went screaming past me and his foil collected my line. By the time I could grab the spool to break it he had just about spolled me, considering I had only just put it on (at a cost of about $65) I set off after him to get my line back. He wasn't real impressed but he should not have been going so fast so close to the boat, we actually yelled out to him before the incident happend. I called NSW Maritime and they were very good about it, unfortunately I didn't have his rego but they informed that unless there was a specific clearway eveent (with specific buouys + prior notice) he was in the wrong. Based on the time and the place they tracked down the event and had a word to the organisors. Certainly more than I expected.