How To Lay Line Flat On Overhead Reel Without Level Wind?

duck168

I recently acquired a Daiwa SL20SH. It hasn't a level wind. My problem is I have no idea how to easily wind the line onto the spool nice and flat as if with the aid of a level wind? I guess all I could do is wiggling my finger left to right and to left. But that is a real pain don't you think? Thanks in advance.

Are you talking about when retrieving whilst fishing or when loading line onto the spool?

Using your thumb is the best way... just hold the rod in front of the reel and guide the line back and forth with your thumb. It becomes second nature. The line needs to have tension though, not usually a problem when fishing but when loading line onto your spool you will need someone to apply a bit of tension or run it through a big channel sinker or similar (something smooth).

Baz

I mainly use overheads with and without braid.

I hold the bottom of the rod in my left hand under the reel and use my thumb to guide the line over the spool as it comes in.

Just be careful when winding in braid with softer wet fingers as it can cut in.

Some people use thumb or finger stalls (small length of bike inner tube over appropiate didget).Cheers Rowan

Using your thumb side to side. And if you have very thin line buy some "scratch protection clove" (i dont know what it is english?) that hand what you use move to line. I had that kind clove's our around the worl trip, and it's allso help release flathead kind fish, becouse you dont need scare any spikes.

I went out to Cook's Rover breakwall with the Slosh. The Slosh was mounted on a Sealine Surf overhead rod that I imported from the US. The rod was cheap, but the freight was not.

It was fun because you have to watch out for birdsnest around the spool. I had few of them but I managed to got out. You need some skills in using them.

I could not get it to cast too far. But with practice I hope to gain more distance and less birdsnest.

The annoying part is the "thumb level wind" part. I don't think I need a thumb protector. I need a level wind!

One thing you might want to take care of is where your line is going when you pull out the birds nest. I've had a few with my overhead fishing off the rocks and on one occasion I wasn't careful where the line was going. It ended up in the wash and stuck around a heap of cunjevoi!! Bloody annoying, lost a good lure and even worse, about 15-20m of line that I couldn't get back, which I hate because it just makes a mess of the area which I try my best not to do.

Bloody annoying, lost a good lure and even worse, about 15-20m of line that I couldn't get back, .

Or much`much more worse: lost +50kg halibut, becouse if you not move line side to side when you wind in, every line coming center of spool, then its is full and you still have 20m line out and you cant wind in anymore :1crybaby:

Edited by JaniFIN

In the early days of high-speed spinning off the rocks, anglers used to remove their level wind mechanisms. I think it was to get more casting distance. You get used to the thumb technique and it becomes 2nd nature. There's no level wind on game reels... ;)

Baz

• 2 weeks later...

"Mag them out"? Please explain.

Went out on Sunday to further try out the slosh. This time I had birds nest after birds nest. I think I am getting pretty good in untangling the birds nest. I think the wind blowing into my face didn't help.

I think I need to put the brake on on next outing.

Still haven't got the "level wind thumb" down pad. Does the thumb move fast or slow?

Put both the red and black brake blocks on while learning. Magging involves the addition of small rare earth magnets glue inside close to the spool and they help to control it. Do an internet search for magging reels, or magging torium 30 and you should find more. Theres a place at botany that sells the magnets and they are easy to put in.

I have an abu7500c3 that has a level wind, casts like a dream and the level wind is not a problem, and does help so you dont need to think about the line lay and you can crank lures in fast. BUt my other overheads dont use a level wind - its a matter of getting used to them.