Solo Launching & Retrieving

Berleyguts

I'm full of questions lately.

Does anybody have some useful tips for solo launching and retrieving?

I usually manage OK at most ramps in quieter bays but I will be launching frequently at our caravan park at Wisemans where you launch straight into the current (which races along). I reckon I'll be OK on launching - I use a 5m bow line or I can just give a solid push and climb on over the bow, drop the motor, start it and tie off at the pontoon or beach it (there are beach mooring lines), then go and park the car/trailer.

Retrieval might be a different matter though. I can run a longer stern line as well as the bow line and guide her in that way but I'm not sure how to manage two ropes and the winch. A lot of the ski boats drive onto their trailers but that is not really an option for mine. During the day on weekends there is usually someone to lend a hand but midweek or very early morning or late at night I may not be so lucky.

Boat is a 4m Stacer alloy, forward steer, 25hp outboard with manual tilt. Trailer is an old Brooker (non-tilt) and I think I need to do some work on the rollers.

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks,

Baz

Baz A few years ago I had a boat similar to yours. Launching was reasonably easy , retreiving , as you have mentioned , is another thing .

Two tips that may be of assistance when retreiving.

Trailer depth

Having the trailer at the right depth into the water can make a lot of difference. Not fare enough places a lot of strain on all components. Too fare in & the boat floats all over the place.

On mine , having the rear roller just above water leval was about right.

Keeping the boat lined up & the bow hard against the rear roller after clipping on the cable then moving to the winch handle is , as you have pointed out, rather difficult.

I used a rope running from the bow through a small pully mounted onto the center draw bar , about 1 mt from the rear roller. Holding the rope tight whilst moving to the winch kept the boat in place untill there was tension on the winch cable.

Let the rope go & winch on

Geoff

Edited by Geoff

purchase a Boat Loading System they sell for around $150

"With these boat loading systems it's a one person operation to safely guide your craft on and off the trailer. Fully proven by thousands of boat owners in rough water, fast tidal currents and strong cross winds. Comprises two separate, spring loaded 15" arms which bolt to the rear cross member either side of the existing keel roller."

its bacislly 2 big spring loaded arms that bolt onto trailer

so all you do is stick the nose of the boat into the arms then winch the boat up

the springs will push the boat onto the rollers and will keep it on track

they sell them at most big marine shops

71295_lg.jpg

purchase a Boat Loading System they sell for around $150

"With these boat loading systems it's a one person operation to safely guide your craft on and off the trailer. Fully proven by thousands of boat owners in rough water, fast tidal currents and strong cross winds. Comprises two separate, spring loaded 15" arms which bolt to the rear cross member either side of the existing keel roller."

its bacislly 2 big spring loaded arms that bolt onto trailer

so all you do is stick the nose of the boat into the arms then winch the boat up

the springs will push the boat onto the rollers and will keep it on track

they sell them at most big marine shops

71295_lg.jpg

Yep, I second that.Best thing I ever bought.

Tuffy

Mate I retrieve my Stacer 469 easyrider by myself all the time.

I have a long stern rope and hold that in the same hand as the bow rope, to keep the boat straight.

I walk down the trailer and pull the boat up, clip on the strap, keep the bow line tight whilst walking back down the trailer and then just give it a couple of wraps around the winch post. Seems to keep the bow hard up against the V at the back of the trailer, if the stern is in the current you can keep the stern rope in your hand if you want.

Once it is wrapped around the winch post all is pretty much under control.

Once you start winding you can let the rope off and forget about it.

I used to worry about it a bit until I found the method that works for me. I guess the right method for you will depend on your boat, trailer, current, wind etc but once you find one that works you will be sorted.

Thanks. Looks like I'll have to invest in one of those V style boat loading systems. I suspect that some of the rollers are a bit dodgy too, so when I'm at the river for a couple of days I'll leave the boat tied up and check them all out to figure out what needs replacing. In the meantime I'll try walking along the trailer (or along the ramp might be easier) and tie off the bow line around the winch post, possibly running it under a strut first.

I'll let you know how I go.

Cheers,

Baz

i have a boat the same size and if the wind is calm i hook the end of the winch line to an eyelet at the back of the trailer before reversing it into the water and when im driving the boat up i lean over the bow at the last minute and hook the line to the boat then climb out and winch it up ect

I read a technique someone put up that involved tying one rope to the stern and bow, and hanging it on the windward side. You can then beach the boat (if there is sand next to the ramp), hop out, grab the rope, and push it clear. The wind will blow the boat towards the trailer (and a slight push will help) and then you just line it up by either pulling on the front or back half of the rope while standing about halfway down the boat (amidships? :1prop: except standing in the water of course!! if you're on the boat it won't matter how hard you pull!! :074: ). I found it very easy to line the boat up like this in a slight current and you then just walk up towards the car and the boat comes with.

very low stress, you don't have to rely on quick reflexes or dumb luck!! takes a bit longer than just lining it up with the trailer, giving it some gas and hoping you don't f**k it up but I know what method I'll be using until I get my confidence up.

Thanks everyone. Two ropes worked a treat... the 5m bow line and almost double that for the stern line. The wind was howling at Wisemans on Friday afternoon after the thunderstorm (the one I got caught in up Webbs Creek!) and the tide was racing. I just held the bow line tight, manouvered the stern around with the stern line, held both lines tight, then took a couple of quick wraps around the winch post with the bow line, keeping the stern line tight and started winching. No problem.

Cheers,

Baz

Edited by Berleyguts

involved tying one rope to the stern and bow, and hanging it on the windward side

Same principal as "Geoff" said but instead of two ropes I use one, 7-8 m rope, tied at bow and stern with excess rope in a loop, then you can control the boat with one hand. Leave your cable or strap down at the rear of trailer after launching, hook up your boat and bring her in. If its really blowing a gale, run the rope under bottom of the trailer for leverage and away you go. Make the "wind" work for you and release rope from the loop as needed.

An old bloke in Brisbane showed me this tip when I was struggling one day and I have never looked back.