Eating Fish From Botany Bay

Basil D

Hi Guys, we know what we should eat from the harbour and how much dioxins are effecting the fish stock.

But what about Botany bay, is that water any cleaner than sydney harbour, I know they are cleaning the bore water around the bay, what sort of effects will that have on the fish.

Also port hacking, should we be looking for anything there.

Hi Guys, we know what we should eat from the harbour and how much dioxins are effecting the fish stock.

But what about Botany bay, is that water any cleaner than sydney harbour, I know they are cleaning the bore water around the bay, what sort of effects will that have on the fish.

Also port hacking, should we be looking for anything there.

good question

You would think that our fishing licences could be put to good use....

Like offering a yearly report on water quality and fish quality....similar to what they have done for the harbour but for other waterways ........... or will that just damage the industry ???

Mr RB.

got nothing from the food authority nsw they put me onto the fisheries, the fisheries put me onto san sauci fisheries, they are not in the office and i left a phone number with them.

I then contacted the food authority again and they took down my details, they will look into it and get back to me, they say it can take up to ten days

I have sent two emails, one to the Fisheries and one to the foodauthoritynsw as well, Pesstance will pay off I say

Edited by Groper

got nothing from the food authority nsw they put me onto the fisheries, the fisheries put me onto san sauci fisheries, they are not in the office and i left a phone number with them.

I then contacted the food authority again and they took down my details, they will look into it and get back to me, they say it can take up to ten days

I have sent two emails, one to the Fisheries and one to the foodauthoritynsw as well, Pesstance will pay off I say

Thanks for putting in the effort, Groper.

I suspect if they do do something about the situation, they will need to test some samples and test the water.

I Got an email from recreational fishing, this what it says and I have replied asking for more details.

Hi Basil

There is no restrictions (other than bag limits) that apply to areas outside of Sydney harbour. there are certain closures where fishing is not allowed e.g. Cooks River.

Regards

:ey guys,

Would be interesting to find out I have a friend who is an environmental scientist and for her degree she did water sampling in botany bay, about a year ago. Should have seen her look when she found out I was eating fish out of there. Supposedly the results weren't as pretty as people may think. But at the end of the day a huge amount of fisho's eat from there and if there was anything harmful to us I am sure the dpi would release a warning.

:ey guys,

Would be interesting to find out I have a friend who is an environmental scientist and for her degree she did water sampling in botany bay, about a year ago. Should have seen her look when she found out I was eating fish out of there. Supposedly the results weren't as pretty as people may think. But at the end of the day a huge amount of fisho's eat from there and if there was anything harmful to us I am sure the dpi would release a warning.

would you share the results with us.

I am curious to know.

And finally, the food Authority got back to me and looks good :thumbup:

Query to NSW Food Authority / dioxin and lead in seafood

From: Edward Jansson <Edward.Jansson@foodauthority.nsw.gov.au>Add to Contacts

To: "funn_aries@yahoo.com.au" <funn_aries@yahoo.com.au>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Basil

Dioxin contamination of seafood is usually due to specific environmental contamination such as the Homebush Bay area in Port Jackson. A national study of dioxin in the aquatic environment only identified Port Jackson of particular concern. Health issues associated with dioxins usually are due to continual exposure to dioxin over a lifetime. As such, the NSW government developed dietary advice for those catching and consuming fish solely from Port Jackson. Dietary advice on fish caught from other areas is not warranted as on average (acknowledging that the fish may have originated from a variety of places), the dioxin level in the seafood would be lower than that observed from fish caught solely from Port Jackson.

In respect to lead, previous studies of lead in seafood did not identify any specific issues with fish caught in NSW waters. A copy of the report can be found on the NSW Health ’s website, http://www.health.nsw.gov.au/pubs/2001/metalcontam.html.

Yours sincerely

Edward Jansson

Director, Science and Technical Services

NSW Food Authority

safer food, clearer choices