Which Rod Will Be Better For Lure Casting

bigi

As the tiltle suggest which rod below will be better suited to casting small light lures and poppers for saltwater estuary species, land based wading. I own these 3 and i do not wish to purchase another.

They are

Tica with longer butt 2.13m 7ft 8-15lb med-fast action 3/8-3/4oz

Ugly stick 1.75m 2-10lb light action

Jw tufftip 1.8m 6-12lb med action 7-28gms

My two reels are egg beaters a 3000 and 2000 with Sufix 6lb braid. Casting distance is necessary with lures such as

stiffy

rebel pop-r

lucky craft bevy N.W Pencils

lucky craft bevy Pencil,

Bassday Sugarpen's 70mm 4.3gms

Lucky Craft Sammy

to be used

help is appreciated

my first post, its a great site you have here

Edited by bigi

G'day Bigi,

Unfortunately, none of those rods are really ideal for the small, light lures and poppers good for estuary fish. The Tica is way too heavy, and the Tufftip and Ugly Stick are both solid glass tip rods. The rod you need for the sort of fishing you're planning needs to be around 7' (2.1m), rated to suit about 2-4kg line (although a 1-3kg or 2-5kg stick is fine)... but more more importantly, made from graphite.

A rod like this will allow you to cast really light lures easily and also to be able to feel everything your lures are doing. You'd find it much harder to work a tiny popper with a solid glass tip rod.

If you want to get into luring you'll really be doing yourself a disservice by not getting the right gear... it will make all the difference to your enjoyment and success.

You don't need expensive gear... there are rods that suit this kind of fishing for anything from $50 upwards. Give Pete a call at Go Fish and he could point you in the right direction.

Cheers, Slinky

thanks guys

the Tica is an extreme graphite, brand new, the other two are glass.

i thought the Tica would be too heavy and i also thought the ugly stick was a little short, but i was unaware of the differences from glass to graphite. Could you please fill me in on this.

you are dead right slinkymalinky, i do need the correct gear, i love casting lures but havent done so, since trolling and casting from my canoe on the Hinz dam chasing bass back in 1996. Man that was great.

Things change rapidly in such a short period of time when it comes to rods and line.

is it true a 2 - 5 kg spin rod can cast out 4 gram lures at distance, i need to get this right, so my outfit is spot on.

What about a graphite flickstick with a short single butt handle or shimano pro lite spin, im sure these would be good but what are simular at a better price ?

thanks

Edited by bigi

Hi mate,

check out the berkley dropshot rods, you should be able to pick one up for well under $100 and for that price I don't think there's a better rod. As the others have said it's crucial to have the right gear for lure fishing, especially so when you want to cast small lures around.

Good luck

ok ive done a bit of research, and this is what ive come up with

Starlo Stix SSX Squidgy Spin 72 Light 2 piece 2-4kg cork grip

at $65 its a good deal, has anyone used this rod?

Shimano Starlo Stix Tournament Pro Fishing Rod (7'3" light spin) $149

the best price i could find but a little out of my price range

Shimano raider

Finesse Bream Spin 701 7'2" 1 pce 2-4kg. graphite cork grip $120 - $140

i know alot of people like this rod

Berkly dropshot

7’ 2-4 kg graphite cork grip $99

looks the goods

Shimano Xcel 702 Spin $99 2 – 4kg 2 piece cork grip

what are your thoughts guys

Edited by bigi

Hi mate,

check out the berkley dropshot rods, you should be able to pick one up for well under $100 and for that price I don't think there's a better rod. As the others have said it's crucial to have the right gear for lure fishing, especially so when you want to cast small lures around.

Good luck

As ajb says go check out a berkley dropshot i got mine for 90 bucks 1-4kg matched with a little symetre 1500 and 6lb braid great rod that can throw plastics and little poppers and hardbodies a good distance most of the time i prefer to take this over my t curve

Good luck

ok ive done a bit of research, and this is what ive come up with

Starlo Stix SSX Squidgy Spin 72 Light 2 piece 2-4kg cork grip

at $65 its a good deal, has anyone used this rod?

Shimano Starlo Stix Tournament Pro Fishing Rod (7'3" light spin) $149

the best price i could find but a little out of my price range

Shimano raider

Finesse Bream Spin 701 7'2" 1 pce 2-4kg. graphite cork grip $120 - $140

i know alot of people like this rod

Berkly dropshot

7’ 2-4 kg graphite cork grip $99

looks the goods

Shimano Xcel 702 Spin $99 2 – 4kg 2 piece cork grip

what are your thoughts guys

The Starlo Stix or the Drop Shot would be my choice.

Cheers, Slinky

ok, well i shopped around on the net and also a few tackle shops.

i ended up trading in my new tica, for a Berkley Diablo, 1 piece, graphite 7'2 2-4kg spin.

no money changed hands so im pretty happy.

i hope it goes well, it certainly appears to be a good rod

Well i took the rod out this morning, and threw a few lures around, to see how it performed.

I went down to Emerald lake, many of you may know it, its the lake Puffing Billy goes to. Only 15 minutes from where i live.

I started with an old RT shallow diver approx 80mm in length. I was a bit dissapointed, to see the lure only cast 20-25 meters as i thought the rod would really throw it a lot further. I then placed a small popper of 35mm on and then a strikepro shallow diver 40mm. I couldnt believe it when my casts were going slightly longer than the heavier lure. These lures were casting 25meters with a slight cross wind. Overall i was reasonably happy with the rod, The graphites certainly do act differently to glass rods and it will be interesting to feel its reaction with a fish on, and not be surrounded by trees and shrubs so i can give it a good flick with the wind at my back.