Surprise On The Georges

steze

Long story short. My rod had been sitting there for almost 2 hours and not even a nibble. I decided to reel it up and change bait but as i was reeling it up something felt extremely heavy. I automatically thought it would either be a large branch or large water filled plastic bag.

After a few minutes of winding and pulling i saw a large circular white thing floating on the water. And it was a massive stingray. Honestly it looked disgusting, a couple of my friends gave me a hand and brought it up with a scoop net and MY GOD it was big. I dont have measurements but im estimating it had to be at least 5 kilos. The hardest thing was to get it back into the water. I didnt want to get stung or anything so we had to sort of push it with the edge of our scoop net but it decided to stick itself to the wooden planks on the pier which made it virtually impossible to move. But after about 10 minutes of struggle we finally got it back to where it belonged. In the river!.

This is my first time catching one of these and all i can say is that they look pretty gross and i would never want to hook these up again.

Mate unfortunately you cannot avoid catching Ray's, and you should never handle one or even get near one, they are lightning fast with the tail and the barb on a big one will send you to hospital for a visit via the local ambulance, lol

I did once with a little one and it jabbed me in the hand, excruciatingly painful for at least 3 hours, followed by nausea.

Better off cutting the line if you snare one again and let them go back without any danger to you or it.

Mate unfortunately you cannot avoid catching Ray's, and you should never handle one or even get near one, they are lightning fast with the tail and the barb on a big one will send you to hospital for a visit via the local ambulance, lol

I did once with a little one and it jabbed me in the hand, excruciatingly painful for at least 3 hours, followed by nausea.

Better off cutting the line if you snare one again and let them go back without any danger to you or it.

I didnt realise it was that dangerous but thanks for letting me know bud. Next time i'll just cut the damn thing of. haha

you gotta be careful, some species of stingray offer a really nice and quick electric shot. the ones with the stumpy short tails and it isn't a good feeling. i caught a stingray in nelsons bay and i didnt even touch it, it was hanging on the metal rim of the fishing net and i touched the metal and bang thats how i got zapped by it. metal conducts electricity so ye planks of wood are preferred.

happy fishing

kris

Theres plenty of them numb rays in POrt Stephens!

Years ago when they use to net the mullet schools in the Bay, I watched a guy put his foot with a thong on to one, but his foot was wet! :1yikes::074::074:

Im not quite sure what type of stingray it was but either way it would of been nasty getting done by it. Is it illegal to catch stingrays of that type?