A Quick Flick In The Hacking

Brooker435

Hey Raiders,

Decided to switch over to Braided line on my spin rod...

After spooling it up this afternoon I was itching to try it out so I decided after dinner to head down to the hacking just to see how My rod casts and all of that as I've been using mono for my whole life.

This stuff is awesome cant believe that I waited so long It casts so smoothly and at least 2 times further than my previous line and you feel everything when your jigging....

Anyway got down there at 8pm and stopped fishing at 9.30 and managed 4 squid and Inked my brand new shirt which is in the washing machine now don't know if it will come out but worth trying....

I cant wait to get down to Narrabeen lakes and flick around some plastics.. but have to wait 5 days :ranting2:

Regards,

Nathan

post-9366-1258892389_thumb.jpg

Haha so it was you that put on that party across from Wally. The fish in the area pretty much shut down. I'm blaming it on the noise. In fact everywhere I tried in the hacking that night was pretty slow.

Lots of party boats and fireworks at Bundeena didn't help the cause.

At least someone was getting some action even if it wasn't fish.

;)

Hey Nathan,

Were you at Wallys Wharf?

My Mates and I were doing the party across the way...

Sent them out squidding whilst I had to work, but the bums could catch a cold!

Cheers

Chris

Hey Raiders,

Decided to switch over to Braided line on my spin rod...

After spooling it up this afternoon I was itching to try it out so I decided after dinner to head down to the hacking just to see how My rod casts and all of that as I've been using mono for my whole life.

This stuff is awesome cant believe that I waited so long It casts so smoothly and at least 2 times further than my previous line and you feel everything when your jigging....

Anyway got down there at 8pm and stopped fishing at 9.30 and managed 4 squid and Inked my brand new shirt which is in the washing machine now don't know if it will come out but worth trying....

I cant wait to get down to Narrabeen lakes and flick around some plastics.. but have to wait 5 days :ranting2:

Regards,

Nathan

:074::074: Back to Work Son :074:

I will be heading out wed if all goes to plan.

well done nath,good to see you trying somewhere else besides narrabeen.lol.did you eat them or gona try convert em into something big & angry? :biggrin2: need to get some squid & an assortment of fresh baits for a sesh with jewgaffer soon.

you'l notice alot of advantages with the braid,most being the sensitivity.no stretch makes it good for setting hooks but you dont have to strike as hard as you do with mono.[my thoughts anyway.]casting is heaps better too cos of its thin diamiter,& wind & water drag is less.you can also use lighter sinkers.theres heaps of other pros with braid,along with some cons.

be sure to use mono or flouro carbon leader of at least 1mtr for a bit of stretch & stealth cos the fish can see braid alot more than nylon.you also have to learn a few new knots.to join leader to braid,i use 3 types.surgeons,albright & the easiest to tie yet strong,the good old double uni.theres hundreds of other knots you can learn,but those few would be the easiest in my opinion.just practice,practice,practice.

cheers johnny. :thumbup:

P.S.what pound braid are you running?remember braid is usually stronger than the stated breaking strain.eg.2lb would break at around 4 or 5lb.someone correct me if im wrong.

Edited by fisher doi

well done nath,good to see you trying somewhere else besides narrabeen.lol.

Good work on the squid beginner...what Johnny means is that there are greener pastures more handy to us westies than Narrabeen, a good place to fish lures on the good days by the way, but there's no where to go from there but the beach to improve on the bad days, John would say...he'd have a go in places like South West Arm whenever he decides that he needs deeper water otherwise he wouldn't hesitate to trek down to Mainbar and fish his prawns in the shallows on the off nights, I have dozens of John's photos from down that way, jew, snapper trevally, oversize tailor, mac tuna, you name it ....

John see if you and Josh can get a chance of an early morning to go down under the bridge just before the racecourse, George has something in mind for fairly soon so you need as much fish bait in the freezer as you can get, and a few arrows like Nathan managed to get hold of would be a welcome bonus...

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hey Nathan,

Were you at Wallys Wharf?

My Mates and I were doing the party across the way...

Sent them out squidding whilst I had to work, but the bums could catch a cold!

Cheers

Chris

Nah Mate I was at Yowie...

well done nath,good to see you trying somewhere else besides narrabeen.lol.did you eat them or gona try convert em into something big & angry? :biggrin2: need to get some squid & an assortment of fresh baits for a sesh with jewgaffer soon.

you'l notice alot of advantages with the braid,most being the sensitivity.no stretch makes it good for setting hooks but you dont have to strike as hard as you do with mono.[my thoughts anyway.]casting is heaps better too cos of its thin diamiter,& wind & water drag is less.you can also use lighter sinkers.theres heaps of other pros with braid,along with some cons.

be sure to use mono or flouro carbon leader of at least 1mtr for a bit of stretch & stealth cos the fish can see braid alot more than nylon.you also have to learn a few new knots.to join leader to braid,i use 3 types.surgeons,albright & the easiest to tie yet strong,the good old double uni.theres hundreds of other knots you can learn,but those few would be the easiest in my opinion.just practice,practice,practice.

cheers johnny. :thumbup:

P.S.what pound braid are you running?remember braid is usually stronger than the stated breaking strain.eg.2lb would break at around 4 or 5lb.someone correct me if im wrong.

Hey Johnny,

Yeah I dont mind driving that's why as you will see from my posts I get around quite a bit but for the squidding side of things I seem to do my best in the hacking as the water is nice and calm and the squid are usually there in numbers if you can get there at the right time.

As for the setup I am using 15lb braid which I know is preety heavy but I wanted all round strength and If I ever managed to hook up a kingy or something of that nature Id like to think that I could give it a go....

Its a simple soft plastics setup Abu 2500 reel and a shimano rod goes preety well considering it was only a cheap setup but ill be looking to upgrade as I get better...

I was using a mono leader 20lb probably a bit heavy duty but it did the job anyway and it is tied to a ball bearing swivel for squidding but ill be using the double uni when I use the plastics as the squid are not very fussy...

By the way can you recommend any land based spots for soft plastics close to home.

Im planning to explore around the parra river and try a few different things also.

Regards,

Nathan

Good work on the squid beginner...what Johnny means is that there are greener pastures more handy to us westies than Narrabeen, a good place to fish lures on the good days by the way, but there's no where to go from there but the beach to improve on the bad days, John would say...he'd have a go in places like South West Arm whenever he decides that he needs deeper water otherwise he wouldn't hesitate to trek down to Mainbar and fish his prawns in the shallows on the off nights, I have dozens of John's photos from down that way, jew, snapper trevally, oversize tailor, mac tuna, you name it ....

John see if you and Josh can get a chance of an early morning to go down under the bridge just before the racecourse, George has something in mind for fairly soon so you need as much fish bait in the freezer as you can get, and a few arrows like Nathan managed to get hold of would be a welcome bonus...

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Thanks Jewgaffer,

I enjoy going squidding quite alot as it is very easy to do and dont need to spend too much time setting up my gear...

I prefer fishing close to home as it saves time on travel and more time fishing.

Might have to try a few of those spots you have mentioned above and see how I go.

Regards,

Nathan

Good onya Nathan, you got yourself some nice bait there buddy,

save a couple for a bash of the rocks up here when you get time

to pop on up...

No worries Ray!!!

Might head out to the hacking some time through the week if I can swing it and see if I can get a couple more.

Looking forward to a bash on the rocks. When will you be there next???

I'm hoping to get up there real soon even this weekend if the weather is good.

Regards,

Nathan