Kingy Poppers

Ray R

Hi Raiders, okay so I'm gonna get a couple of poppers for the kings and see if I can entice a larger variety

of king. My question is which one would be the best or most sucessful for them.

Hoping for some input from kingy guru's...

I'm not any kind of Guru or even a Guru's big toe but there are 2 poppers that are my must haves... Cotton Cordell Pencil Poppers and Halco Roosta Poppers. The Cotton Cordells are easier to work fast in open water and the Roostas are good around beacons where you can bloop them as well as ripping them a bit faster.

Cheers, Slinky

any red head popper is good starter as far as colour choice is concerned. even if they don't bite, it'll still get them inquisitive. at least that will give you an indication that they're there

also i've noticed the smaller ones will mostly beat the larger varieties to the popper. so how large are you expecting

Hi Ray ,

Slinky is on the money , Cotten cordell popper ,they are not cheap but will get you the desired results or cost you a fortune in lost lures..... Another good lure is they spray poppers , will try and post a couple of pics later , usually found in the bargain bins at your tackle store just need to upgrade rings and hooks if fishing heavy tackle . Fishing marker bouys or calmer water , Owner tango dancer 115 is a great strong lure out of the box , lots of action ( definatley a must have ). River to sea make a similar lure , rover 128 both work well, fished winding flat out of popper style fishing with pauses

Cheers Dogtooth.... :1fishing1: . John.... :beersmile:

any red head popper is good starter as far as colour choice is concerned. even if they don't bite, it'll still get them inquisitive. at least that will give you an indication that they're there

also i've noticed the smaller ones will mostly beat the larger varieties to the popper. so how large are you expecting

Mate after catching hundreds of little ones anything over 65cm's will do LOL.. :-))

Hi Ray ,

Slinky is on the money , Cotten cordell popper ,they are not cheap but will get you the desired results or cost you a fortune in lost lures..... Another good lure is they spray poppers , will try and post a couple of pics later , usually found in the bargain bins at your tackle store just need to upgrade rings and hooks if fishing heavy tackle . Fishing marker bouys or calmer water , Owner tango dancer 115 is a great strong lure out of the box , lots of action ( definatley a must have ). River to sea make a similar lure , rover 128 both work well, fished winding flat out of popper style fishing with pauses

Cheers Dogtooth.... :1fishing1: . John.... :beersmile:

cheers john looks like im off to the tackle shop again

I spent the money on a good popper and got a result the first time out. I was about $60 and is a blooping popper so no need for heaps of speed. Caught this on a Sydney ledge on the weekend.

King.jpg

Weighs about 100gms and got some big owner trebles on it which were never coming out.

I spent the money on a good popper and got a result the first time out. I was about $60 and is a blooping popper so no need for heaps of speed. Caught this on a Sydney ledge on the weekend.

King.jpg

Weighs about 100gms and got some big owner trebles on it which were never coming out.

Which ledge, I want the weed!

Have caught kingy's on the Halco Roosta poppa's, if your fishing braid make sure you tie on a flurocarbon leader, otherwise say bye bye poppa if yoou get a little excited and lift the fish out of the water, yes there is a rat king swimming around with a new peircing on its face from me!!! Not cool loosing expensive poppa's :1badmood:

what sorta retrieve do you guys use for kingys off the rocks with the poppers?

Do you actually work the popper with the rod much, or is most of it winding in?

On some of the tv shows when the chucking poppers at gt's it looks like there just winding the thing in as fast as they can.

• 2 weeks later...