Which Rod To Match A 4500 Shimano Baitrunner

bergo

i am just starting in fishing and my boat is on its way. im looking at an all round rod that i can live bait for kings or even a big flattie or jew. its all going to be estury. and i only have my 2 2500 slades and i would like something that can handle the big one whilst i can have a good tussle with me 6lb line on my other 2.

Edited by bergo

I have a couple mounted on Shimano 7 foot 8 to 10 kg Snapper rods, Catana I think? They are a good versitile rod for trollong, live baiting, and bottom bashing! They are an uglystick copy in construction and are therefore almost unbreakable. You can let a mate use it or a kid and not have a heart attack worrying about them doing something wrong. Carbon fibre is good, but you have to be so carefull.I have mine loaded with 20 lb braid,Penn I think. I run around 7 kg of drag. Got hold of some carbonex drag washers over the internet, Now the drag is super smooth!

Howard.

Silstar make good rods aswell in say 7' as do the real Ugly Stiks

I prefer integrated tips for most of my fishing, I also found Penn make some decent rods aswell these days, but inadvertently they are mostly the same blanks as the Silstar and Ugly's

I think Silstar have better bindings on the runners and are either 7wrap or 9wrap.

I'd be going either a 8-10kg or a 10-15kg rod for that kind of work, although you could get away with a 5-8kg as long as you dont hight-stick it there is little chance of breaking it- your line will break well before the rod if you fish it right.

Matched with good 20lb braid and a good fluro or mono wind-on leader you cannot go wrong.

Good luck with the purchase bergo

:1fishing1:

Just had a look at line capacity. Looks like the 8000d is the same as the 4500b. Best thing to do is to go have a look at them. The B has been around for quite a few years and was not intended for braid, though it does quite well. The D is only a few months old and has all the latest braid friendly gear.

Howard.

The D series Shimano Baitrunner is definitely better than the B series, however, bear in mind that the D series is around the $300 mark whereas the B series is $200. Substantial price difference.

I have a 2 outfits with 4500B baitrunners. One is on a 6-10kg 7' Ugly Stik Platinum with 20lb Fins braid and the other is on a 8-12kg 10' Silstar Crystal Blue which i am planning to run 30lb braid on.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

The Silstar Crystal Blues come in a nice 7 foot, 6-10kg which i fish up to 30lb fireline through. They also come in 10-15kg and i think 5-8kg.

Ugly stick also make several nice rods in the 6-10kg bracket and i think that the US made ones are meant to be better. I only have 1 and its a US made 7'6" 6-10kg that i fish a 6500 with anywhere from 20lb mono to 50lb braid.

I have used and been happy with fireline in 15lb and 30lb, Suffix in 20lb and 50lb and millenium braid (i think it's Platil) in 15lb. If you search through the Tackle Talk section which this is in already and look for posts about 6500 baitrunners, Kingie and Jewie outfits and rods you should find more suggestions that people have already made.

Good Luck

hey guys im looking at buying a 4500 baitrunner and just wondering what would be a good rod to match? im look to spend no more the $150.

thanks for any advice in advance. cheers Gary

Hi bergo I think everybody should own at least one 4000 or 4500 size reel... It's a handy in between size to have a couple of for your general bay and estuary fishing... The 4500 baitrunner for example is a good enough reel to handle up to 30lb braid yet it would still be comfortable top shotted with 8lb over it's mono backing in it's line rating for your lighter work at faster retieves due to spool size.... Having said that, you can also use a 4500 outside for light gamefish such as salmon, big tailor, bonito, striped tuna and so on and it's a good enough reel to cater for the general run of jewfish and kingfish.. If you're geared up for larger specimums updating the drag in a 4500 baitrunner is an alternative as well. The 4500 is also an ideal size to have for fish such as mangrove jack or snapper off the reefs and also drummer should you decide to fish in close occasionally....

As to the rod, I wouldn't hesitate to take Red's advice and buy one of the Silstar Chrystal Blues...At this point line rating for sportiness and also the all important factor of having good strength plus sensitivity has to be considered. So, rather than going up too far and being in no man's land I would keep it lighter and sportier by chosing a rod that flicked back nicely on the bone from the closest chrystal blue to 5-8 kilo and later when you move up to 6500's and the big Penns use the same principle, and you can't go wrong if you just come down a cog or two in the Chrystal Blues.

Hope this helps

BTW, Thanks for the thumbs up Angelo, LittleJG will just happen to find a brand new sparking Chrystal Blue in his Christmas stocking this year :thumbup:

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1: