Chasing Kings

Jamal

Good Afternoon All,

About to end another week at work :1prop:

Planning to do a all nighter in the harbour. I have some live prawns and will chase squid around the spit tonight. As i have never landed a kingy im really keen to get one tomorrow morning even tho it might destroy my tackle as im not setup for a decent king im still more then excited to get onto one. Has anyone got any tips locations? rig?

Hope to see some raiders out there

Cheers

Take along some stick baits - ones that are completely white, the large sqidgy flickbaits in white and 145cm worked in the past for me, that way if your baits not happening you can try something different.

Also try some poppers early morning, i have caught kings before in the middle of the day even at the spit bridge on poppa's - and that was landbased throw them round the 2 free moorings

Edited by Mad Keen Jon

It might be better for you to star of with bait. But its up to you!

Ill try and keep it simple!

If you really keen to catch some kings, go in the daytime, but if you want some jewies then go at night.

Main line:

I would use 30-40lb braid or mono

Leader

50-80lb leader mono or flurocarbon

Hooks

Size 4/0-6/0 would be good starter

Mustard or Gamagatsu are top brands

I mostly use size 4/0 and 6/0

Rod and Reels

10-15kg rod good quality

Penn spinfisher 850 or 950

You can get some cheap Penn spinfisher combos, but dont get me wrong there top rods and reels for the price tag

Rig

There are many many rigs for kingys

Mainline attached to a ezy rig, then attach a star/bomb/snapper sinker to the ezy rig, then the main line to a good quality swivel (not cheap crap) via a uni knot

Then attach you leader of about 60cm - 1m to the swivel via a Uni knot.

Then down to the hooks, for dead baits and fillets, snelled 4/0 and 6/0 but it also depends on what size the bait is.

For live baits i would use 4/0 or 5/0 or 6/0 but again it depends on the size of the bait.

Bait

Squid, yakka, mullet , Tailor, Garfish, Octupus, cuttlefish , white bait, prawns, pilchard and many more, but this is there what they usual eat and are caught on.

I will try and post up a pic of the rig and more info later

Also try and get a copy of kingfish secrets (dont know if im aloud to say that?).

Cheers, Zac

Edited by the one that got away

Heres the rig.

Sorry about crappy drawing.

Cheers, Zac

Thanks Zac,

Its not my post but some mighty fine info there good work buddy,

I might try using some of the squid I caught the other day this way and see how I go.

Cheers,

Nathan

Actually Mate,

The guy down at the Tackle Shop mentioned that you should use beads after the easy-rig before the swivel Never used this setup but have you ever used beads before???

Regards,

Nathan

Thanks Zac,

I might try using some of the squid I caught the other day this way and see how I go.

Cheers,

Nathan

Actually Mate,

The guy down at the Tackle Shop mentioned that you should use beads after the easy-rig before the swivel Never used this setup but have you ever used beads before???

Regards,

Nathan

i have always used the plastic outer casing of my old extension leads you know the colored part red, black, green as it is soft and prevents the ezy rig from beating on your knot assuming thats why he mentioned it

notice a lot of ez-rigs these days. what are their advantages?

Over rigs with a running sinker to swivel, then leader for example. Similiar concept?

How tight should the line be for rigs with running sinkers?

advantages are simple as tidal flow gets stronger you can simply change sinker to suit conditions ie. spoon to a heavier type or snapper lead

not real advantage from round to ezy rig which i use spoons on other than my bait does not roll with currents

but sometimes this can go against you round sinker rolls into the gutter were fish may be hiding

Edited by hooklineandsinker

Thanks Zac,

Cheers,

Nathan

Actually Mate,

Regards,

Nathan

Ahhhhhhh, yes the beads, i forgot!

Its a must for me.

Cheers, Zac

notice a lot of ez-rigs these days. what are their advantages?

Over rigs with a running sinker to swivel, then leader for example. Similiar concept?

How tight should the line be for rigs with running sinkers?

The ezy rigs proved (spelling) the advantage to change your sinker depending on the current ect, with out cutting you leader off and tying it again.

But as said before a bead after te ezy rig is a must

As tight as you want it to be, it dosent really matter it was designed to be ezy to change sinkers but still run up and dow the line without hassle

Cheers, Zac

ah right.

i thought the idea was that the fish can take the bait and swim with it without feeling the weight of your sinker, hence i asked how tight the line should be (which determines how much slack the fish can take with it)

Right, i took your question the wrong way, sorry.

You can set your drag to really light.

Use a bait runner.

Free spool it ( when there is not so much wind and current)

Free spool with a rubber band about 10-20cm above the reel on the rod, with a loop in the line, then put under the rubber band, so if a fish runs with the bait, the line slips off and its in free spool.

And im sure there is many more but i would be most comfortable using this.

Cheers, Zac

Thanks all for the helpfull replies

So went out Saturday morning had live prawns and live squid.

Did various drifts the only place the produced some decent size brim was shark island besides that checked all markers throw everything i had from plastics to unweighted prawns and squid for just pickers.

Oh well i will give this weekend a try. Trial and error i guess until you get it right.

Cheers

Edited by Ifish

well i usually go under the spit early morning stock up on live yacka's possibly squid too then i head out to middle harbour near that bouy/marker (green one) and few drifts around that and usually pick up some decent kings from there :D ive done this roughly 4-5 times successfully live yakkas also pulled out some aussie salmon in that same spot too

well i usually go under the spit early morning stock up on live yacka's possibly squid too then i head out to middle harbour near that bouy/marker (green one) and few drifts around that and usually pick up some decent kings from there :D ive done this roughly 4-5 times successfully live yakkas also pulled out some aussie salmon in that same spot too

If you see a little half cabin huntsman tailing you dont be suprised hahaha.

Was this recent mate? do you send the yakkas to the bottom?

Which Marker is that? i tried about three thousand markers on the weekend. im guessing anything with abit of structure should produce with the right procedure.

well i send them about half way down and berley up usually fresh puke works hahaha each time i had caught the kingies there i had a servo hotdog/meat pie before heading out this usually gets me sick before i hit the water, from there i go catch my yakkas n goto middle head there is only 1 green marker thats near the head and yeh usally get a few as long as the leather jackets arent in season those fkrs kill my live bait >:/