Broken Rod Tip

johnny doi

hi raiders,

iv got a old rod given to me by my good mate josh.its a 6"6 shimano steve starling stella spin rod,2-4kg.thing is,the rog tip is broken off so was wondering if i can get it fixed?does anyone know of anywhere close to fairfield that can fix it for me?& how much do you rekon it will cost?

any help will be much appreciated.thanks in advanced.

cheers johnny. :thumbup:

A quality tackle store will repair it for you, if you're worried about having a go yourself. If doing it yourself, take the rod in with you to make sure you buy the right size tip.

If the tip guide is still there but just the ring is broken, you may be able to remove it with careful application of heat. Sometimes, a hot melt glue is used rather than epoxy glues like Araldite. Then, it's just a case of cleaning it up and gluing on the new tip. You can add a bit of decorative binding if you want.

If the tip is broken a few inches down, then you may have to reposition all the guides to ensure you get the right action and the line is laid evenly through the runners.

Baz

G'day fisherdoi,

There's no effective way to put the broken piece of rod back on but as said, the simple fix is to replace the tip runner. I've done it myself to a few rods over the years. How much broke off the tip?

Cheers, Slinky

hi tony,

the way he gave it to me,i didnt know it was broken until i looked at the tip properly & realised the top is broken off.so i think its the whole top section,from tip to 2nd runner is missing.

do you think it stil useable like that,will it effect the action?iv seen on a fishing show & tackle shop years ago that they can put a new tip section on it,think theyr called 'nibble tips'.do you think that would make it better?

josh originally gave it to my young bloke,so i think thats why he didnt tell us its broken,which is fine.but once i realised what kind it was & that its graphite,i wana fix it for lure fishing,for both my son & myself.is it a decent rod for lures,i think it is?

hi tony,

the way he gave it to me,i didnt know it was broken until i looked at the tip properly & realised the top is broken off.so i think its the whole top section,from tip to 2nd runner is missing.

do you think it stil useable like that,will it effect the action?iv seen on a fishing show & tackle shop years ago that they can put a new tip section on it,think theyr called 'nibble tips'.do you think that would make it better?

josh originally gave it to my young bloke,so i think thats why he didnt tell us its broken,which is fine.but once i realised what kind it was & that its graphite,i wana fix it for lure fishing,for both my son & myself.is it a decent rod for lures,i think it is?

John, because of the availability and cost of a new tip section, it would be far better I'd say to replace the first available guide with a tip guide and use the rod as a squid rod as well as being a handy rod to have for other specific purposes... If it was an over sensitive rod in the first place, you'll finish up with a rod that's almost custom made for the purpose of keeping the pressure on squid without overdoing it. Also John, having a rod like that would be handy when your dealing with the likes of fish such as Salmon, whiting and particularly big mullet and yelllowtail and other hook throwers .. It wont be out of whack at all and having a specific rod to use that's shorter, stiffer and less sensitive will be a bonus and a refreshing change when you strike schools of certain species on the day, not to mention when you and Josh go fishing for carp like you used to....

The problem with adding a nibble tip to a broken section of a rod is the size of the guides in the nibble tips available compared to the old English quiver tips.... The guides they come with these days are far too small and all around the same size as one another and that causes the line to sit in against the tip shaft and tangle around the guides particularly the tip guide. Not only that but the way they are made you would even need to rebind the guides on a new one before you use it... But the upside of that is is you will still find a use for them in your live bait tank, such as gently prodding your mullet in one eye on the up current side... :D

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

If teh whole top section from tip to 2nd runner is missing, I'd be removing all the runners and repositioning them. To do this, you glue the tip on and tape the other runners on where you think they should go, put the reel on and run the line through the runners. Then, get a mate to pull on the line while you put a good working load on the rod and check to see how the line is distributed... if there's sharp angles to the line, you need to reposition until you get it right. Then you just bind them on as normal. There is plenty of info available about rodbuilding and it is quite satisfying to do it yourself... but I'd ratehr do it in winter and fish in summer!

Baz

Edited by Berleyguts