Positioning Of Rod Holder For Downrigger

kingfishercam

gday raiders , i will soon be mounting a downrigger at the back half of my tinny (approx where the back bench seat is ,off side of boat) . I was after your opinion on how far from the downrigger should i mount a rod holder.I assume i roughly need the line off my rod to run down to the rigger bomb from just behind or right on top of the bomb, IS THIS CORRECT?????

I will appreciate any advise on the best way to set up before i go ahead , thanks very much , look forward to any replies.cam.

gday raiders , i will soon be mounting a downrigger at the back half of my tinny (approx where the back bench seat is ,off side of boat) . I was after your opinion on how far from the downrigger should i mount a rod holder.I assume i roughly need the line off my rod to run down to the rigger bomb from just behind or right on top of the bomb, IS THIS CORRECT?????

I will appreciate any advise on the best way to set up before i go ahead , thanks very much , look forward to any replies.cam.

heres a pic of my set up. Got 2 at the back i can use. Ive found either work but thats just me. Im no pro!

post-8018-1259678136_thumb.jpg

yeh i run dual downriggers and mine is setup diffrent to the above photo

i have my downriggers on swivel mounts at the back of the boat with my stainless steel rod holders about 50cm in front of the riggers

i choose to mount them at the very back of the boat as this gives them less chance of getting wrapped around my prop

never had any problems ill post some photos tonight

Hi Cam I used to have downriggers mounted offset off the corners of the stern on a yalta deep sea boat that I once owned and now have the downriggers on my Savage side console positioned straight out the back of the boat ...I use the inbuilt rod holders that are in the corners of the stern on the outside of each and they are angled outwards having allowed enough room to cover my 725 Alvey reels which I like to use when raising baits off the bottom at anchor and can also have two rods on the one downrigger by adding a leader line tied to the cable like a float stopper with adjustable split shot sinkers on each side of it and I just use an elastic band as a release clip ...

I always leave the rod holders on the Cannons but only place a rod in them when baiting up as it's easier to put them down into the boat's rod holders then it is to lift them up from the deck. The rod holders on the Cannons are closed at the bottom and are handy as extra knife holders being in the corners of the stern...

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hi Cam I used to have downriggers mounted offset off the corners of the stern on a yalta deep sea boat that I once owned and now have the downriggers on my Savage side console positioned straight out the back of the boat ...I use the inbuilt rod holders that are in the corners of the stern on the outside of each and they are angled outwards having allowed enough room to cover my 725 Alvey reels which I like to use when raising baits off the bottom at anchor and can also have two rods on the one downrigger by adding a leader line tied to the cable like a float stopper with adjustable split shot sinkers on each side of it and I just use an elastic band as a release clip ...

I always leave the rod holders on the Cannons but only place a rod in them when baiting up as it's easier to put them down into the boat's rod holders then it is to lift them up from the deck. The rod holders on the Cannons are closed at the bottom and are handy as extra knife holders being in the corners of the stern...

Cheers

My boat came with two Cannon downriggers. I haven't used them yet (not sure how I'd go getting the bomb out of the way on my own if I hooked a fish!). Are you all saying that it is not wise to use the rodholders on these downriggers? Or, are they OK if trolling for trout but not strong enough for kings?

Thanks,

Baz

....... Are you all saying that it is not wise to use the rodholders on these downriggers? Or, are they OK if trolling for trout but not strong enough for kings?

Thanks,

Baz

Hi Baz, Not even counting the bend in a rod in that split second before the release and/or the drag comes into play and the possibilty of these plastic rod holders giving way, even if your downriggers had metal rod holders on them, and downriggers being what they are you would more than likely lose the whole caboudle off the back of the boat if the bomb or the cable happened to get fouled up...

Cheers

Edited by jewgaffer