Balmoral 03/12/09

paulthetaffy

Headed down to Balmoral at sunrise for a short session before work. Target today was kings on livies.

Getting yakkas was hard work due to the plague of baby sweep and tiny (2") tailor attacking everything that touched the water, but once I had the technique down I managed half a dozen pretty quickly.

Unfortunately no signs of kings (or salmon / tailor for that matter) and the only action my yakkas saw was from the cormorants. The water visibility was still pretty poor from the rough seas over the last few days and it was full of huge clumps of weed, so not the best of conditions. A few other guys there managed yakkas and little else.

On the plus side I did get the odd glimpse of baitfish schools thorough the murk, which means they weren't driven out with the rough seas. Hopefully this means they're there to stay for a while now, which should bring better numbers of pelagics in close.

Still a lovely morning to be wetting a line and a nice way to start the day!

Paul

I was also out in the harbour this morning , first sesh this year , I was in the polly , got a pb , (first Harbour HOODLUM) , the man in the purple boat wittnessed it :) also lost 2 other (big) kings , and landed and released a couple of rats ,all on yellow tail.

will post some pics from phone soon :) there are some big guns out there atm.

cheers

I was also out in the harbour this morning , first sesh this year , I was in the polly , got a pb , (first Harbour HOODLUM) , the man in the purple boat wittnessed it :) also lost 2 other (big) kings , and landed and released a couple of rats ,all on yellow tail.

will post some pics from phone soon :) there are some big guns out there atm.

cheers

Unfortunately I'm land-based so couldn't go hunting. I think the kings only tend to come into the shallow waters around the bays and jettys when the water is clear. At least that has been my experience round MH.

Glad to hear you had a good session though, and congrats on the PB.

Paul