Fixing Up The "shimano"

Coast_Bloke

Alrighty seasoned boating vets.. need your advice.

I am fixing up my brothers boat (he has offered to let me borrow it whenever I wish) and I need some advice on what I can and can't do.

I will chuck in some pics so you can see it.

Ok what I want to do and am trying to do:

• Repaint? the fibreglass and aluminium
  • Recondition Motors
  • Rebuild Bimini (make it a touch higher.. its just below standing height)
  • Add new pedastal seats
  • add removable rear seating
  • Add Rocket Launchers, to bimini
  • Is it possible to add power tilt, trim?
  • Fix the depth/fishfinder
  • Fix the stereo :biggrin2:

Well thats all I have thought of so far... any suggestions for doing these items.. and any suggestions for other things that could be done, would love to hear them.

Cheers,

Coasty

Pics in next post

Guest Jocool

• Painting is a big job...Doing it yourself?
  • Reco motors really depends on who you get them from!
  • The bimini would be easiest to replace completely I'd say.
  • Ped seats arent a huge prob...Just buy the bases at Bias or similar
  • Rear seat could just be a swing down lounge. You could do that at home!
  • Add Rocket Launchers when you make the new bimini....or you can get a stand alone kit from Bias
  • Trim and tilt could be done when you reco motors...but could be exy!
  • Worth fixing the sounder?? Would it be cheaper to replace?
  • just buy a new stereo. :1prop:

Guest bluecod
  • Repaint? the fibreglass and aluminium
  • Recondition Motors
  • Rebuild Bimini (make it a touch higher.. its just below standing height)
  • Add new pedastal seats
  • add removable rear seating
  • Add Rocket Launchers, to bimini
  • Is it possible to add power tilt, trim?
  • Fix the depth/fishfinder
  • Fix the stereo  :biggrin2:

Well thats all I have thought of so far... any suggestions for doing these items.. and any suggestions for other things that could be done, would love to hear them.

Cheers,

Coasty

40716[/snapback]

[*]Repaint? the fibreglass and aluminium - cut and polish - you'll lose value with a repaint

[*]Recondition Motors - consider replacing with single 60 horse 4 stroke

[*]Rebuild Bimini (make it a touch higher.. its just below standing height) - replace

[*]Add new pedastal seats - as Joe said

[*]add removable rear seating - relocate that fish box - it seats two

[*]Add Rocket Launchers, to bimini - unless you fit a rigid stainless unit, the bimini won't have the strength to take rocket launchers

[*]Is it possible to add power tilt, trim? see above[*]Fix the depth/fishfinder - buy a new one

[*]Fix the stereo :biggrin2: - buy a new one

Fit bilge pump, fit VHF radio, rekit safety gear including sea anchor, plumb the fish box to turn it into a live well

Good boat, big brother and later model than my own and is certainly worth doing up.

These boats are tanks. They are solid, and built to last ! :1clap:

Plus they have the most neglected feature on new boats... TOE RAILS !!

I've seen some wild footage of these boats in some sloppy sea's with guys locked into the gunwhales fighting some jumbo fin...

Chris

Guest Jocool

Just thought of something else...If you think about a single motor as Blucod suggested, think about raising the transom so that it will accomodate an EXTRA long shaft. May save you the hassle I had of getting swamped from behind! :wacko:

Cheers guys... keep the ideas coming (My wife isn't in the room :074: )

Ok got some good ideas now... will keep you updated in here. :biggrin2:

Will prob stick with twin motors... and get these 2 recond... as you guys know, motors are the biggest expense... they will come last. But time will tell... whats the benefit of a single engine?

CB, forgive me if I'm out of line but why invest your cash into your bro's boat when that cash could be a nice downpayment on your own NEW boat or you could buy a used one.

You obviously have a better relationship with your Bro's than I do and I commend you for that but after your investment at least it could be joint ownership.

..........just a thought

clutch

Having just undergone the proscess your are about to undertake I consider myself a squedo expert.

Firstly - Bimminy Cet in contact with a guy called steve from Protrim marine at collaroy excellent work at a great price.

Painting- Its a bitch and was probably the hardest most exspensive job I undertook. I was very lucky that I had a mate that spraypaints and even then it was a bitch. If you can live with the old paint job then do so. The job is full of hidden traps like replacing the Gunwall rubber (absolute bastard of a job), patching repairing the surface and on and on it goes.

Stereo can by repaired at GME eletricail in gladsville esay enough just costs money

Dont buy the Kit rocket launchers from Bias etc. The are too flexibile and the movement in them will put stress on the bulk heads. In addtion the rod holders on theses kits are absolute crap, I lost three very exspensive rods before I learnt my lesson.

Engines are something that you need to spend the money on. After the lessons Ive lernt its an area that id never skimp or comprimise but with money you can do anything to them.

Buy a new/second hand sounder from the trader etc. If possible get them to show you it working first. Use e-mail to suss out all the options and negotiate hard on price as Ive found its very much a buyers market.

Good luck you will need it

I reckon doing a boat up is a great idea as long as you start with a solid hull and from what the others say that's what you have.

I'd think very carefully about getting the oil injection disconnected from those old motors and going back to premix. Replace the fuel lines and get a new fuel tank or at the very least make sure you flush all the crap out of the old one/s. If you insist on sticking with oil injection, get it checked thoroughly and replace the external oil reservoir and lines. I just learned all this the hard way.

I bought a stereo and waterproof speakers from Bias. It has a radio and CD including MP3 (200 songs fit on a single CD) and the sound is great.

Definitely plumb a live bait tank as was suggested.

Good luck.

40869[/snapback]

iain, the box in the middle is a 2 system setup with a live well on one side and a esky type thingo on the other... just gotta get the plumbing setup.

I am still tossing up up newer engines, they are 84 johnsons, and the starboard engine is almost stuffed.

CB, forgive me if I'm out of line but why invest your cash into your bro's boat when that cash could be a nice downpayment on your own NEW boat or you could buy a used one.

You obviously have a better relationship with your Bro's than I do and I commend you for that but after your investment at least it could be joint ownership.

..........just a thought

clutch

40899[/snapback]

Clutch, I wont be footing all the bill :biggrin2: the only reason is, that after it is all fixed up and we have used it a few times, I may ebay or boatpoint it and then we split the cash or both joint venture into a much better blue water girl.

It was picked up a year or 2 ago, at an absolute bargain price, and after looking around, with the improvements I am planning, we can easily double the price of the original sale and expences.

Having just undergone the proscess your are about to undertake I consider myself a squedo expert.

Firstly - Bimminy Cet in contact with a guy called steve from Protrim marine at collaroy excellent work at a great price.

Painting- Its a bitch and was probably the hardest most exspensive job I undertook. I was very lucky that I had a mate that spraypaints and even then it was a bitch. If you can live with the old paint job then do so. The job is full of hidden traps like replacing the Gunwall rubber (absolute bastard of a job), patching repairing the surface and on and on it goes.

Stereo can by repaired at GME eletricail in gladsville esay enough just costs money

Dont buy the Kit rocket launchers from Bias etc. The are too flexibile and the movement in them will put stress on the bulk heads. In addtion the rod holders on theses kits are absolute crap, I lost three very exspensive rods before I learnt my lesson.

Engines are something that you need to spend the money on. After the lessons Ive lernt its an area that id never skimp or comprimise but with money you can do anything to them.

Buy a new/second hand sounder from the trader etc. If possible get them to show you it working first. Use e-mail to suss out all the options and negotiate hard on price as Ive found its very much a buyers market.

Good luck you will need it

40907[/snapback]

Thanks for the contacts, and yeh spoke to a spraypainter mate today, and said its a bitch of job.. I just hate the old orange colour :1prop: . Price will be a factor in this.

Guest Jocool

You asked if there is any benefit with going to a single motor over twins! Yes....PRICE!!!!

The reco of 1 motor may cost you 2500-3000...now double it! You can buy a brand new 60 HP Tohatsu....Like mine...For $7K!!!!