Greenwich Fishing

disturb3d

Hi Guys

It was about 10:45 and the :wife: and I were about to go to sleep until i had an itching to go fishing. So off i went.

Arrive at Greenwich at about 11:30 and the wharf wasn't as packed as it usually is. Armed with my pack of pillies and prawns i started to setup.

I quickly setup my 12' rod with a full pillie and out it went. As i'm setting up my 8' rod, i was trying to attach the two pieces together and couldn't get them to fit. I looked closely and realised that they were completely 2 different Pieces. :mad3: .

Being pretty annoyed i thought i'd hold out and wait for something to take the pillie. An hour passes and still no hits on the pillie. I can see guys next to me catching small tailors.

I figured :05: , so i got my extra spool out and started using the handline. I rigged up the handline with a single hook and a piece of pillie, then in it goes. After about 10 seconds or so within the water, i get a bite quickly pulled the line in got an undersized tailor. Back it goes. I reckon i pulled up about 10 or so undersized tailors in a matter of 10 - 20 mins (which all went back in).

Getting pretty annoyed, i thought i'd give the prawns a go. Through in a prawn and what do you know ... A YAKKA!!! after being excited, i quickly reeled in my big Rod and attached this YAKKA (hooked behind the head and near the rear fin). Out goes the livie.

I continued to attempt to catch more yakkas but for some reason kept on getting little choppers. After about 30 mins or so, I noticed my rod tapping around (seemed like the livie was going nuts). I quickly got myself to striking position, Then BANG the bait runner starts to run for a while. I striked then lost it. Being kinda annoyed, I left the bait there for a while to see if it'll go for another bite, but none.

Annoyed i reeled it in and the yakka was totally demolished. The bottom half of the head was chomped of to about the mid section of the body. What i found really bizarre is that the hook on the fin and back of the head seemed untouched.

I figured stuff it, i'll try to catch more yakka's. Caught another yakka, but no takers. Left the wharf about 4:30am when the sun started to rise.. Wanted to stay longer but i knew the :wife: would be crack it.

Pretty much went home empty handed, but it still strikes me, what fish could that of been that took my livie?

Cheers

Mark

Hi mate,

if it took your livie from underneath, towards the head end, my vote would be that it was a really STONKER bream!

Too bad you missed it ....would have been a contender for the FR record!

Better luck next time!

Cheers

Chris

Bream don't take chunks out of lives, they don't have cutting teeth. It was definitely a squid/cuttle by the sounds of the bite pattern.

Bream don't take chunks out of lives, they don't have cutting teeth. It was definitely a squid/cuttle by the sounds of the bite pattern.

Mate,

Since you were catching small choppers they must have been the party responsible....

They are very annoying and will demolish anything they can get their hands on.

If it was daytime I would say Jackets but by your report I am pretty confident that they were tailor responsible

Regards.

Nathan

Annoyed i reeled it in and the yakka was totally demolished. The bottom half of the head was chomped of to about the mid section of the body. What i found really bizarre is that the hook on the fin and back of the head seemed untouched.

I figured stuff it, i'll try to catch more yakka's. Caught another yakka, but no takers. Left the wharf about 4:30am when the sun started to rise.. Wanted to stay longer but i knew the :wife: would be crack it.

Pretty much went home empty handed, but it still strikes me, what fish could that of been that took my livie?

Cheers

Mark

Maybe you got a very hungry fish on a low iron diet. :1prop:

Edited by Vladimir

Mate,

Since you were catching small choppers they must have been the party responsible....

They are very annoying and will demolish anything they can get their hands on.

If it was daytime I would say Jackets but by your report I am pretty confident that they were tailor responsible

Regards.

Nathan

Unlikely jackets because they dont really run hard, neither would a small chopper. jackets cant bite and move at the same time, as they more or less pick at the bait rather than run with it. Tailor also go for the tail first to stop their prey from moving & even then they dont take small bites out of the head, if it was a tailor going 4 the head then it would've taken the whole thing in at once.

A decent squid will take line off a baitrunner easily and they can take chunks out of their prey whilst moving away. And small chunks out of the head area are classic squid feeding patterns.

I'm still saying it's a squid. I've had many squid take my live yakka. They pull REALLY hard, definitely enough force to set the baitrunner off. Remember that most large squid are caught on bait rather than squid jigs. A bite like that is indicative of a squid.

I've had plenty of squid target the underbelly of my live yakkas rather than the top dorsal fin area. Simply because the hook (placed on the dorsal fin) is in the way.

Thanks for the reply guys. Im thinking of heading back there this Friday to try my luck again. So unsatisfied with catchin @#$ ALL. Thats fishing..

I'll just have to weigh up: Work Christmas PArty or Fishing?

I know where I'd rather be ... :1fishing1:

I got an Xmas party tonight and again Friday night for my fisho buddies, + its my work Xmas party same night...

Decided am going to hang with my buddies and talk fishing instead of going on a harbour cruise wishin I could lob my TLD25 with a live squid out the back for a slow troll, lol

roflroflrofl

I know where I'd rather be ... :1fishing1:

I got an Xmas party tonight and again Friday night for my fisho buddies, + its my work Xmas party same night...

Decided am going to hang with my buddies and talk fishing instead of going on a harbour cruise wishin I could lob my TLD25 with a live squid out the back for a slow troll, lol

roflroflrofl

DUDE LOL, i went on a cruise last weekend and thought EXACTLY the same thing. I told the wife that and she didn't look impressed.

Cice boat but, reminded me of the Saturday night fever song "I'm on a boat" haha. The bella vista it was.

BL disturb3d sorry i couldnt go with ya. I say it was a massive tailor which killed your yellow tail.