Advice On New Beach Rods Please

Captain Spanner

Hey guys im hoping that some of the Beach and Rock Guys can give me some help on this. One of my good fishing mates asked me to do some research for his new Beach/Rock Rods for Christmas.

His first priority is a Solid Beach/Rock Rod for Jews to match with probably his 6500 baitrunner or possibly his 14000 Saragossa if required and he is hoping for one that can handle larger fish, cast bigger baits that he is hoping to encounter when he heads up the north coast of NSW. He'll mostly be fishing off beaches but occasionally breakwalls.

He is also after a bit lighter spin stick for off the beach and rocks for his 4000 stradic for salmon and tailor.

His budget is pretty much $400 for the both rods but doesn't necessarily have to be $200 on each.

At the moment I think he will only be using these rods on the couple of holidays he goes on each year as he mostly fishes out of a boat. But i wont be surprised if he ends up doing more beach rock stuff once he gets his rods.

Any advice on this would be great thanks guys. Feel free to PM me if you dont feel comfortable posting replies.

Hey Mate,

I reckon you can look at the following rods:

1. Wilson Live Fibre in a 10-12' and 8-12kg

2. Silstar Crystal Powertip 10-12' in a 8-12g or a 10-15kg

3. Shakespear Ugly Stik 10-12' in a 5-8kg, 8-12kg or even a 10-15kg.

You want something with a medium taper and plenty of bottom end grunt, get one with an integrated tip (Ugly Stik and Silstar are both integrated tips).

I got also a Shimano Beast Master 5-8kg and it rocks off the stones and beaches, and I also use it live baiting for Jewies off the wharves locally on Parra and Lane Cove Rivers- has never let me down great rod but I still prefer my Silstar and Ugly Stiks any day but they are all overhead rods not intended for spinning with eggbeaters

FYI- Make sure the reel mount isnt too high and mayeb take the reel you ant to use and fit it to a few rods to try them out for balance.

Good luck!

id reccomend a penn spinfisher big game surf rod in the 15-30lb range.i use a 10 footer & its a deadly powerful rod matched to a daiwa 5500 emblem pro surf/rock casting reel.i run 30lb braid off it & its great for casting 40grm metals 100m+ with ease.the rod has enough grunt to stop the biggest of jews & sizeable kings in their tracks.

iv also read in a fishing mag that 1 of the writers used the exact same outfit i use to land longtail tuna,medium cobia & gts to 15kgs landbased off a breakwall,so i highly reccomend the penn.id say your mates reels should match to the rod quite well.

i use that outfit to cast metals for hours on end with hardly any fatigue,so its lightweight enough to have long sessions casting heavy metals & bibbed minnows off the rocks,or casting big live or slab baits for jew off beaches or breakwalls.im pretty sure you can pick one up for around the 150 price range.

hope this helps mate.

cheers johnny. :beersmile::thumbup:

Edited by fisher doi