Newport Reef In The Southerly!

nic_ally_king

Hey guys,

Planned to get onto some reds at longy early yesterday with a mate. Put in at sandy at 5am, got plenty of little yakkas at west head and started heading round the joey. Wind was blowing strong strong.. still.. bureau buggered this one up! (It was howling all night but all reports until midnight were pointing to calm waters, 5 knots se). Slowly headed round towards newport reef - there was no way we were getting to longy, wind and wind swell was shite! and there was a front approaching! wtf. Anyway, we sounded fish up and decided to drift sth from the southern side of the reef. After the 1st drift the wind was seriously howling! But we got SMASHED by kingies, losing two big boys and boating a legal. Threw him back and did it again. Got a sp and braid stuck around the prop about 20mts from the reef with a heavy stherly blowing us straight onto it. Quick freak out! managing to avoid jumping in, cut it off and got wide.. just!

We did about a half dozen drifts using live yakkas and flicking sp's. Every yakka (about a dozen) was smashed within about an hour with half of them being belted on the way down!! The kingies were on! We got plenty of followers on the sp's by schooling kings and managed some good fish on all sorts of sp's. No snapper unfortuently, but my mate got the biggest bonnie we've ever seen right at the boat on a sp. It coulda been a regular stripey! Will try post some pics later as I don't have the camera.

All in all we got over a dozen fish losing some big boys! So, there's some def big fellas out there if you can find them. Threw them all back to fight another day - I rarely keep anything. Best session i've had for a while!

Good stuff.

Its funny how the best fishing is often when the conditions are crap.

Just wondering what depth you were fishing your livies on the drift?

Do you have them near the bottom or up mid water?

cheers

Mainly mid-water mate. But we sounded the fish so It didn't make alot of difference.. but in saying that, def not the bottom

Mainly mid-water mate. But we sounded the fish so It didn't make alot of difference.. but in saying that, def not the bottom

Sweet, thanks for the tip.

Me and my mates had a go in that area the other day. Picked up one rat kingy as we were leaving but we will definitely be going back there because it looks like a good spot.

Not sure whether it would be best fished on the drift, anchored or downrigged yet but im sure we will work it out by trying different things.

Hopefully these kings will start to move into pittwater in numbers soon.

Had a pretty good season last summer. fingers crossed this one will be better.