Big Sh Kings Sunday 13th Dec

kingiemaster

Howdy

Finally got the boat out since it was sabotaged almost 6 weeks ago.

With 10 squid in the tank by 7am we hit the habour markers looking for some of the big Kings I'd heard about.

Found them on the 3rd attempt at the Nielsen Park sticks.

My mate lost the first fish as the hooks pulled somehow.

His 2nd was lost after turning up the drag a wee bit too much. :05:

Then it was my turn to get burnt. I took it nice and easy pumping and winding as the drag on this particular reel was stickier than usual but lost it after a few minutes when the fish did another solid run and must have found the some bottom with the leader breaking above the swivel. :1badmood:

All fish were hooked (!) by dropping the live squid right on the sticks and drifting away with the motor still running. Each one was a good fish. No head shaking, line came off effortlessly on relatively solid drags (strike) and mine fish in particular felt very heavy under load when I got it under the boat before taking off again. And I didnt get a chance to really turn the heat on it like I normally do.

I use 50lb braid mainline, 40lb mono wind on leader and 60lb traces.

Tried a few more times but they either wised up or moved on. Sou Wester was making it diffcult anyway.

So went westside to try Balmain surrounds. Hooked up solid at the dolphins with line coming off nice and cleanly on my 2nd Kingie outift I use in the canoe only for the line to go limp. This time line broke at trace due to several knots left in the rig it as I hadnt checked it before putting on it after the mad session at the sticks. :mad3:.

With the sun up high aobve we decided to call it a day.

There are some big Kings harbour as per other reports. So fish heavy, check your drags, leaders, traces and knots etc move around and get your baits into the structure. And good luck.

KM

Unlucky on all the bustoffs mate.

I have been running 80lb shock leader and 80lb leader and it seems to be taking care of most of the kings.

Sometimes all it takes is a bit of luck between landing one of those hoodies and getting busted off.

So best of luck on your next outing!!!