When To Strike A Jewfish

slayer666

Hello Joe,

I believe, if the line starts to pull from your reel (the fish is taking line and has bait in its mouth ) you should strike and not give the fish the chance to cut you on a mooring or on structure.

Just sit your rod in the rod holder and set the drag accordingly, if your reel has a bait runner mode set it- when the fish begins to run while in runner mode - pull your rod out of the holder and turn the handle which will free it from free spool and set the hooks.

Pm me if you wish to talk more tactics.

Hope this helps.

Twin 1

Hey slayer,

Where i fish for jews there is no mucking about due to lots of moorings. Once the rod goes off i get stuck straight into the fish. I dont give it a massive strike just give it a bit to make sure its hooked then try and turn it real fast. They usually hook themselves. I find that when i am not hooking up its smaller soapies. Downsize hooks and then ya get em!

Jews usually hook themselves anyway i reckon. Baitrunners and jewies a good combo.

Mike

I agree with above statements from Pete but if your drag is set to fight the fish you dont really need to strike, it wont do anything.

Another good way is too have your drag loose, not baitrunner mode and when you hear it running you dont move your rod at all just slowly increase the drag by turning the knob with the rod in the same position the whole time until its tight enough for you to fight it then you can pick your rod up.