Fishing Rods

Luke1

Hey All, hoping to buy a fishing rod for xmas, but the problem is i dont know which one, i want one for using baits, but at times using lures, but i want to target Snapper, Jewies, Kingies, and the rods i've been looking at for this style are:

Pfleuger Asaro 6-10kg

Pfleuger Trion 5-10kg

Shimano Raider II Mexican Fire - Snapper - 5-10kg

Daiwa Exceler HVY - Line 12-25lb

Daiwa Tierra 7" - Line 12-20lb

Just wondering, what your thoughts are on which is the best.

Luke1

• 2 weeks later...

187 views and still no response i cant really comment

other than that i got the feel for the snapper raider in the shop which i was going to buy

i would not be casting it out with large sinkers its quite sensitive its more of a boaters rod plastics , general fishing it would be great just stay with in its weight range

i ended up getting something very similar with out the price tag that the raider 2 has

sorry i cant really help

ill assume your landbased

can someone help the young bloke out

Hey mate you haven't mentioned it, but i would go with an Ugly Stick Black Tiger, 7ft 10-50lb. I've caught big Kings and Reds on this but its still soft enough to flick SP's for Bream and flathead, if I remember rightly I got mine for $150, would highly reccomend them.

Cheers, Tobe

Luke1,

What type of fishing do you think you will be doing most of???

As I have about 4 Rods and Believe me there is people on this site that would laugh at me!!!!!

Everytime I go to the tackle store I always want to buy a new rod. you can buy expensive gear and it will last you a long time but you may not use it to its full potential.. but if you are keen enough the Ugly Stick is not a bad option as they can be used for just about anything and are very strong... Im yet to buy one but will in the near future once money becomes more redily available...

Im using a shimano light action spin rod with a Abu Garcia Tc2000 with 15lb Braid and it handles Bream, Flathead with ease probably handle snapper also never tried but these days I use it for squidding and flicking soft plastics around and its perfect very light also Rod = $65 Reel = $60 Braid = $65

eventually ill put the reel onto a ugly stick.

The other Rod that I use is a 12ft Abu Garcia $50 and a Penn MagPower 7000 $65 with 30lb Mono Suffix

Line $40 and this setup to date has caught Salmon off the beach up to 70cm 2 kings one legal and a Jew and It did it easily. I also took the reel off and put it onto a Cheap Boat rod and got a 62cm Jew off the boat so No complaints so far Not too sure how it will handle the 80+cm Kings but I am looking forward to really giving it a run for its money...

I will eventually buy a Fluger 10ft cant remember the Model of it but its tough as Nails as the 12ft is a little overkill but gets the job done for the time being.

My other 2 rods are just backup rods that I use for fun with a prawn on the end of...

I hope this helps you out.

Regards,

Nathan

Edited by beginner

Hey All, hoping to buy a fishing rod for xmas, but the problem is i dont know which one, i want one for using baits, but at times using lures, but i want to target Snapper, Jewies, Kingies, and the rods i've been looking at for this style are:

Pfleuger Asaro 6-10kg

Pfleuger Trion 5-10kg

Shimano Raider II Mexican Fire - Snapper - 5-10kg

Daiwa Exceler HVY - Line 12-25lb

Daiwa Tierra 7" - Line 12-20lb

Just wondering, what your thoughts are on which is the best.

Luke1

I'd go the Trion for "Value for Money", but if you've got the extra buck, go the asaro.

i've got the Trion (2-4kg) which i use for flicking plastics, but haven't landed anything massive on it. i'm sure the 5-10kg will be able to take a beating.