Kingie At Browns Rock

rkhosid

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT

Bit late to post and my first one on this forum. Friday/Saturday 5th December, got up around 3:00 in the morning and thought what would be the best way to spend the morning. Its an hour drive to La Perouse and to get a spot one had to be early. yep...4:30 arrived at Browns rock and I'm trying to get some yakkas..no luck. Other fishos show up within minutes and seems to be much luckier catches 5 within ten minutes and has livies on three rods. Mine are sitting empty. Took me until 8:00 in the morning to get one and got one rod waiting with a livie on it. Within minutes the rod starts jerking, thought I had a salmon but turned out to be a 40+ Taylor.

Managed to get one more yakka and by 10:00 am my rod went screaming must have taken at least 50 meters of line since I set my drag to only about a kilo or so, less lost fish . Took control and reeled the kingie in. Just over 78 cm and what a great barbie that Saturday evening. Using Shimano three piece rod with soft tip and same brand reel 4500's. Main line braid 20lbs and 40lbs mono lead. I just trow the line with heavy sinker to keep the line tout and attach a yakka with a hook behind the dorsal on a 1.5 meter lead which I clip on the main line and let it decent into the water. They seem to stay alive much longer compared to attach and trow method.

post-11719-1261004426_thumb.jpgpost-11719-1261004450_thumb.jpg

thats a nice king caught off the rocks mate,great work. :thumbup: where abouts is browns rock,is it near bare island?is it a safe ledge & how high is the ledge from water?& is it a far walk from the car?

if anyone can answer my queries,it will much apperciated. :biggrin2:

cheers johnny. :beersmile::thumbup:

thats a nice king caught off the rocks mate,great work. :thumbup: where abouts is browns rock,is it near bare island?is it a safe ledge & how high is the ledge from water?& is it a far walk from the car?

if anyone can answer my queries,it will much apperciated. :biggrin2:

cheers johnny. :beersmile::thumbup:

Thanks mate.. The ledge is quite safe in any kind of weather as it is being sheltered by the north head, also there is an old concrete platform that use to house a canon, on high tide you would be about 2 to 3 meters above water. Easy to catch yakkas for live bait and it is much safer than Bear Island, that's one dangerous platform to fish from. One thing is, gotta get there early as late comers will find there is no places left to put their rods in. I always get there before the sun comes up to ensure a spot. I have attached an image that shows where the place is. You could park at the golf course but not recommended. The walk is about one and a half km and takes about ten minutes as its going down hill. Going home will take a bit longer and will knock the wind out of ya.

post-11719-1261014968_thumb.jpg

Thanks mate.. The ledge is quite safe in any kind of weather as it is being sheltered by the north head, also there is an old concrete platform that use to house a canon, on high tide you would be about 2 to 3 meters above water. Easy to catch yakkas for live bait and it is much safer than Bear Island, that's one dangerous platform to fish from. One thing is, gotta get there early as late comers will find there is no places left to put their rods in. I always get there before the sun comes up to ensure a spot. I have attached an image that shows where the place is. You could park at the golf course but not recommended. The walk is about one and a half km and takes about ten minutes as its going down hill. Going home will take a bit longer and will knock the wind out of ya.

post-11719-1261014968_thumb.jpg

Good report mate and excellent fish.

Although I wouldnt fish landbased, you're description is fantastic and Im sure very helpful to those other landbased fishers. We need more descriptions as detailed as yours......

Keep them coming.

Jeff

That's a really good report,

BTW, I'm really new to this, may i ask you guys, what bait or live bait (how do you get the live bait) do you use for fishing king fish on the rock, also... what kind of rig and hook do you use when fishing them

Thanks

Fish for yellowtail (yakkas) get yourself either a hand line or a short kiddie rod with multiple small hooks smaller the better. Burley bread mixed with pilchard and sand to break it up. This will bring yakkas close to the surface so you can actually see them, for bait use anything from prawns, pilchard, chiken or best is mince. You have to be quick cause the bait will keep disappearing every minute or so. Once you get one, hook it just behind the dorsal and let it swim attached to the main line.

Main line, just tie up a heavy sinker and trow as far as you can--tighten up the line. Live bait attach to the 40lbs or more 1 meter monoline with number 4 hook on one end a nd a clip on the other. Clip on the main line and let the live bait descend into water. The bait will tend to stay close to the surface thus attracting kingies, taylor or salmon. Bigger the bait, bigger the fish.

Fish for yellowtail (yakkas) get yourself either a hand line or a short kiddie rod with multiple small hooks smaller the better. Burley bread mixed with pilchard and sand to break it up. This will bring yakkas close to the surface so you can actually see them, for bait use anything from prawns, pilchard, chiken or best is mince. You have to be quick cause the bait will keep disappearing every minute or so. Once you get one, hook it just behind the dorsal and let it swim attached to the main line.

Main line, just tie up a heavy sinker and trow as far as you can--tighten up the line. Live bait attach to the 40lbs or more 1 meter monoline with number 4 hook on one end a nd a clip on the other. Clip on the main line and let the live bait descend into water. The bait will tend to stay close to the surface thus attracting kingies, taylor or salmon. Bigger the bait, bigger the fish.

Great tips, thanks very much for your reply, gotta try that spot once i get a chance

Thanks

Well done mate - worth the walk. Was wondering what you are using to clip your leader onto the main line that will give you the strength during a good fight.

Cheers John

Hi John

Use a snap swivel which rates at about 40kg break. Sample below:

post-11719-1261351778_thumb.jpg

Hi John

I've been thinking about using this rig myself as it's been suggested many times on here, but am a little concerend about bite detection. Once the livie is in the water it can obviously swim anywhere from the surface to where the sinker is - when you get a take am I right that you wont detect this until the fish has taken the bait far enough for the snap swivel to slide all the way to the sinker? Or if you do detect it you can't set the hooks until you have wound in enough line for the sinker to meet the swivel? Couldn't this be many (10-20) metres if the water was deep or if you have cast quite far creating a shallow angle?

Cheers

Paul

Hi John

post-11719-1261351778_thumb.jpg

Many thanks, thought it might have been - have read an article about the same thing and spent a few hours yesterday online trying to tack it down . Will have to give it a go one day.

cheers

I've been thinking about using this rig myself as it's been suggested many times on here, but am a little concerend about bite detection. Once the livie is in the water it can obviously swim anywhere from the surface to where the sinker is - when you get a take am I right that you wont detect this until the fish has taken the bait far enough for the snap swivel to slide all the way to the sinker? Or if you do detect it you can't set the hooks until you have wound in enough line for the sinker to meet the swivel? Couldn't this be many (10-20) metres if the water was deep or if you have cast quite far creating a shallow angle?

Cheers

Paul

the way i see it paul is no real bite just a take <whole >and the run once fish has realized that its hooked or something not quite right

gonna try it myself

the way i see it paul is no real bite just a take <whole >and the run once fish has realized that its hooked or something not quite right

gonna try it myself

Yeah sorry I meant that you wouldn't detect the run until it had taken it far enough for the clip to reach the sinker. Let me know how it goes!

Cheers

Paul