First Kings On Sydney Harbour 16 Dec

The Rev

This is my first post after reading many. I fished off Wollongong for many years and moved up to Sydney a year ago. It's taken me this long to finally catch a SH king!

I snuck out with a mate (Paul) for a pre-work fish. Caught a few yakkas in North Harbour and went to the North Head channel markers and did a few slow drifts. Managed 1 king 58cm - bit of fun the sent him home to live another day. Managed a smaller one off the middle head markers - 48cm then headed off to work. Great to be out and finally manage my first Sydney Harbour kings.

thanks to all the other fishraiders for your posts - they have been very helpful.

Have a great christmas

The Rev

Hi,

Do you mind if I ask how you rigged up the Yakkas for the slow drifts?

I'm going on Saturday and don't have a downrigger, I'm wondering whether to just hook them up and throw them in the water unweighted, or with a sinker midwater or with a float?

Cheers

Hi,

I'm going on Saturday and don't have a downrigger, I'm wondering whether to just hook them up and throw them in the water unweighted, or with a sinker midwater or with a float?

Cheers

Pin them in the nose or thru the eye sockets. better with an elastic band. If it s big yakka or slimey I would put a second hook in its back

use a big arse snapper sinker if your gonna slow troll them.

good luck

Hi,

Cheers

Hi there - sorry for the late reply. Similar to what Flathead said, I pin them through the nose if drifting or slow trolling so that they follow the boat nicely. As I try and only use small yakkas (12cm) one hook is plenty. Just fish with the reel out of gear and them let take the bait down for a few secs before striking. I added a small ball sinker to get them down off the surface.