The Biggest Elbow Slapper At Botany Bay

funnierthanu

Got a call from a customer to do a check measure at malabar so i decided to hook the boat up and fish the bay when i finished . The 20 knot south easter wasnt going to stop me . Got to the new forshore drive ramp et 7pm to see a 8 metre whitley sitting in the car park without a trailer , they didnt hook up the safety chain , thats the first thing i do when i bring in the boat .First inpressions of the new ramp ( crap ) wouldnt use it on a weekend as everyone just ties up to the wharf and blocks the pontoons.

Went straight across the bay into the wind and started to fish on the sea side of the oil wharf. First 4 cast and lost 4 good fish . Thats what you get for trying new rigs . We fished till 1030 but the wind got the better of us and we headed back .The mate i took said there was no fish in the bay and after him only getting 3 fish last week he wanted a little wager , ha final tally was 5 for him and 23 for me with a tally of 28 fish , 1 fh 2 snapper 5 trevally 5 tarwhine 7 bream and 8 whiting with the biggest at 45cm. It was a solid 3 hr of fishing . Hope you enjoy the read .post-9468-1261272509_thumb.jpg

Jeez Funny,

I reckon your mate would have thought it was a REAL hoot to constantly watch your rods bowing while his had stagefright. You certainly have a lot of experience fishing after dark in the wind, especially in MY spots !

Good on you - a top haul, especially in really trying conditions, and I know that you, in the spirit of good matemanship, would have shared the fish 50 - 50. Also, your mate would have picked up a few pointers from the master himself. That was a top elbow slapper there - will go down a treat.

By the way, when you say the 8M whittley was there without a trailer, do you mean it was stolen as there was no chain, or it came off the car somehow? That would be a $12K trailer for sure....

Have a good christmas mate and we'll catch up when you have time - ie between customer visits !

Tony

Jeez Funny,

I reckon your mate would have thought it was a REAL hoot to constantly watch your rods bowing while his had stagefright. You certainly have a lot of experience fishing after dark in the wind, especially in MY spots !

Good on you - a top haul, especially in really trying conditions, and I know that you, in the spirit of good matemanship, would have shared the fish 50 - 50. Also, your mate would have picked up a few pointers from the master himself. That was a top elbow slapper there - will go down a treat.

By the way, when you say the 8M whittley was there without a trailer, do you mean it was stolen as there was no chain, or it came off the car somehow? That would be a $12K trailer for sure....

Have a good christmas mate and we'll catch up when you have time - ie between customer visits !

Tony

Tony , they had no safety chain and the whinch cable snapped half way up the ramp , the inboard was enbedded into the ramp

Jim , with the wind like it was last nite its easy to get whiting as the boat swings 30 - 40 metres .Its only my 2nd attempt at the whiting in the bay so i was happy to get a few.

That's a nice haul of fish, will will sure fill up your freezer. I feel sorry for the ones with the whittley as this could happen to any of us if we depend on the poor old strained winch cable/strap instead of taking a extra couple of seconds to put on the safty chain, to which I have been a party too. I'll make sure I put it on from now on.

Regards Jeff

Good little session funnierthanyou, that is a great haul of fish you've got there :thumbup:

I reckon had you had the chance to start earlier in the afternoon with the low around 4.30pm and particularly with the south easterly freshening things up, we would have seen quite a few more fish from you particularly whiting and tarwine... It's been interesting to see that all the work in Botany Bay that everyone was so concerned about has actually livened up the fishing...

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1: