Line Rating Of A Rod

b4nd1t

Hi Bandit,

if the rod is ratd to 6-10kg line then you might want to set it at 3kg drag, as the norm is to set the drag at 1/3rd the line breaking strain. Most rods are rated to the line strength, however some top shelf rods does state the max drag as well. However depending on the rod and blank you may be able to push the drag setting a little more then 1/3 provided you do not high stick the rod. Hope that helps

Cheers,

Sz1

10kgs of drag is a serious amount.... try loading up your reel with 10kgs using a set of Bogas or some other sort of scale. Then, grab the line in your hand and try to pull it out. I bet you cut your hand!!

I have GT rods which are rated to 10kgs of drag and they are serious rods. Your 6-10 would only cope with 3kg at the most. Any more and you risk a failure.

Edited by Cephalopod

thanks for the help guys, i just got a stella 3000fd and a tiralejo 9ft model. im mainly going to use it for a bit of light spinning, just wanted to know how far i could push the tackle, as the stella has a max drag of 10kgs and i got it spooled with 20lb power pro. hopefully ill b able to land some kings and tuna from up the coast, without getting busted on a rock