Squid

slabslinger

Hi All,

Just after an opinion on how to keep squid gathered 24 hrs before use.

Caught a little bag of mixed arrows and southerns last night which I plan to use tonight. As soon as i caught them I placed them in a plastic ziplock bag and sat the bag upon ice bricks.

When i got home I placed the bag straight in the freezer.

This morning I got up and checked them and they have that mottly maroon colouring, which I hope is not the 'pink' that everyone says is bad.

Is this ok or should I not freeze them next time if I'm going to use them the next night?

Any tips appreciated.

Thanks in advance & Merry Xmas,

Slabslinger

P.S. Adjustedpete - These are finally droughtbreakers after our sesh. Have targetted them regularly but deadset lost my mojo, up until now. I think i'm back :thumbup: Now to turn them into a Jew or two for Xmas Day :yahoo:

Edited by slabslinger

Hi All,

Caught a little bag of mixed arrows and southerns last night which I plan to use tonight. As soon as i caught them I placed them in a plastic ziplock bag and sat the bag upon ice bricks.

This morning I got up and checked them and they have that mottly maroon colouring.

Is this ok or should I not freeze them next time if I'm going to use them the next night?

Any tips appreciated.

Slabslinger

P.S. Adjustedpete - These are finally droughtbreakers after our sesh. Have targetted them regularly but deadset lost my mojo, up until now. I think i'm back :thumbup: Now to turn them into a Jew or two for Xmas Day :yahoo:

Mate straight in the fridge on a plate with glad wrap.

they will remain like the way you caught them for days

Regards Jack

That maroon colour your describing is the way they should look. Not the pink colour humans get after sun baking a lil longer than they should if you get my drift. We brought home 10 out of the 12 we caught today using the method you have described, they are "maroon" shade. Still as perfect as ever, and tmr we will feed them to more kings!

Dan

Hi All,

This morning I got up and checked them and they have that mottly maroon colouring, which I hope is not the 'pink' that everyone says is bad.

Any tips appreciated.

Slabslinger

LOL...... Give me a ring and we will take a spin in the tinnie over the holidays Cam. Lets see if we can do some damage to the jewies. My pb for jew is 0

Squid when you pull them out of the water have all manner of mottly patterns etc on their skin. They are able to change their patterns at will and even after death their skin seems to have a mind of its own and you can see the little dots changing colour... looks like there are waves of colour pulsing through their skin. The colour doesn't really change much, mostly different shades of a red-brown colour. Sometimes if you handle the squid roughly its skin can get torn abit which makes the squid look quite ragged in appearance. This however is not the pink tinge on the actual flesh or tubes of the squid which make it shite. If you want to check whether your squid has been in the fridge too long, try and peel off some of the skin and see if it is pink underneath. You will know what this pink looks like if you accidentally leave some squid out in the sun during a fishing session.

easiest and most effective way to keep squid fresh is the zip lock bag step by step how to do it right,

1) have a bucket of water ready and whateva size zip lock bag u are using

2) after catching squid keep in water to let ink desperse.

3) when u are ready to leave put squid into zip lock bag having air in it is your worst enemy so u need to lower zip lock bag into water pushing out all the air but dont let water into bag basically u want to push all the air out by submersing it into the water, then zip it up take home

4) when u get home freezing is another issue if u dont wrap it in old newspaper ect u get frost on it, so u need to take about 3 sheets of newspaper and wrap it up and ready to freeze..

hope this info helps this method is by far the easiest and keeps squid fresh for ages,

Thanks for all your advice guys.

Slabslinger

LOL...... Give me a ring and we will take a spin in the tinnie over the holidays Cam. Lets see if we can do some damage to the jewies. My pb for jew is 0

Sweeeeeet....Would love a trip mate.

Going camping over the next week so see you in January.