Balmain Fishin Trip

hooklineandsinker

i normally dont bore others with unsuccessful trips but this one was okay in my eyes as i usually dont catch much

the target was for the day was to catch my first king i felt inspired by all the reports

any how started at a wharf in balmain at about 530 am armed with bonito strips ,salted slimies <pillie size>and a box Californian squid and bread for burly

quickly whacked 3 rods out and started to burly for yakkas cound not manage to even find or have a yakka turn up instead it was small tailor first 1 then 3 then the hoards came over in the space of an hour and they stayed all morning not a yakka insight

to cut it short

saw a few large tailor and big mullet about 40cms and the highlight being the 3 kings that showed up and at the time i was flicking this thing around dsc00698rt.jpg

but alas they did not go for it

some time goes by and i catch a small snapper dsc00697m.jpg

a couples min later my 6-10kg rod goes off but the time i get there what ever it was is under the pylons i toyed with it for a min or so only to find i have no hook

i re rig it then pop it in the same spot then it goes off again a few mins later but i bring in an eel

i think the earlier tussle may have been an eel also

any how my stories over i had a nice day out

mike

Edited by hooklineandsinker

Hi there Mike,

Which wharf were you fishing at - Balmain East or Thames Street? I've been seeing kings in Mort Bay cruising along around the edge of the Bay but still haven't managed to get one yet.

I've never caught anything at Balmain East (not anything worth keeping anyway!) but Mort Bay often produces the goods (Bream / Whiting / Snapper / Flatties).

If you're in the area and would like a fishing buddy, PM me and we'll sort something out.

James.

Mike,

Might have been a king that took you to the pylons as they will do anything to bust you off not that I am a expert on the topic but only going by what I have heard.

Sounds like a great day regardless big schools of Tailor might have to try a Tailor fillet one day if you can get a legal sized one as I have heard that they are gun bait.

Mate I appreciate you posting stuff like this as I do exactly the same thing just to keep everyone in the loop and I always feel the need to contribute to the forum no-matter what my trip is like.

I would be persistent with this spot as If you have seen Kings around its only a matter of time and even if it seems like they have swam past and you don't see them after that does not mean that they are gone they are a roaming fish and there is a possibility that they will still be around...

Not sure if you read my post about my 1st Kingy 1 week ago as that is what I am basing this on as I saw about 3 maybe 4 of them and did not see another one after that and from out of no-where one came up and smashed my squid strip, probably not the same King but a King doesn't really matter as long as you get one at the end and I am sure you will as I got my 1st with Squid I bought from the market!!!!!

Regards,

Nathan

Edited by beginner

james

i wasn't fishing any of the wharfs you mentioned ill try any of them with you its always good to have a fisho to help with that fish of a lifetime

ill pm you but was thinking mon or tuesday morn fish or if not we'll sort it out ive just started fishing the area so many places to fish i once worked close to snails bay and though i would fish the wharf near the fields so i did with sps nothing caught but it was worth a try

Nathan

ive read your posts on the kings cracker posts then your post with tide n knots with jews seems like your on fire

i dont know if it was a king or not the hook up was on a 6-10 kg 7 footer rod but i did not feel any head shaking but ive never hooked or caught a king

so i dont know if they head shake or not all i know my live liner was screamin and an other fisho telling me my reel was screaming but the time i got there and picked up the rod my line was in the pylons

days fishin

next time i go hopefully i may have fresher squid and an going to definitely going to have a floating bait about

mike

Edited by hooklineandsinker

Mike,

What I can tell you about Kings as I have only caught 2 is the Initial hook up is not a big deal but its only once they realize that they are in trouble they do the bolt and If your drag was a little loose then for sure they will run I just found on my 2 that once you put a little pressure on them they play tug of war with you well that's the only real way to describe it...

Mate I believe if you keep fishing that spot where you have sited them its only a matter of time and if you can manage it using a live yakka is a sure way to interest a King not that I have ever tried this style of fishing before but there has been quite a few people catching them this way but the only problem with that is if you interest something a little bigger like a 80+ model then you would wanna hope that your gear and your arms are up for the challenge ahead :1prop: That's my next quest as my setup handled the 2 kings quite nicely and its not exactly what you call expensive gear rod and reel just a little over $100 so I am pretty impressed with it to date. what setup are you using? and how was the bait rigged up? As I have had similar things happen to me in the past and found the hooks missing so I am now using a 2 hook rig with snelled knots and It can still be broken but can take a little more force.

Mike please feel free to P.M myself I will be glad to help you in whatever way I can.....

Regards,

Nathan

nathan

the set up is a 7 foot ugly stick tiger 10-50lb running yellow 30lb braid on a penn 560 live liner rig standard running rig no5 ball sinker with 20lb fluro carbon trace to a 2/0 big gun tied with a uni knot

i use sliding snells when i have squid on but this rod had a fish bait on it

nathan

the set up is a 7 foot ugly stick tiger 10-50lb running yellow 30lb braid on a penn 560 live liner rig standard running rig no5 ball sinker with 20lb fluro carbon trace to a 2/0 big gun tied with a uni knot

i use sliding snells when i have squid on but this rod had a fish bait on it

Sounds Like a pretty decent setup but I think for the kings 20lb leader wont do it Id be going 30-40lb at a minimum not saying that 20 wont do it but you stand a better chance with the 30-40lb and Id try the same setup but would snell the big gun hook rather than a uni as the snell gives you a much better chance I would think good luck with it I am sure you will pop your kingy cherry soon enough!!!!

Regards,

Nathan