No Jew On My Christmas Bbq

slabslinger

Hi Raiders,

First of all Merry Christmas to everyone. Hope Santa has been generous :1yikes: All the pressie action is out of the way here. My boys have been up since 5am.

Just a little report from Xmas Eve eve.

Arrived at Long Reef Beach at 7.30pm, sun still shining, armed with a stash of southern calamari and arrow squid caught the night before.

Rigged up first rod and cast out, picked up a 68cm sambo, before i'd finished rigging my 2nd rod. Lots of aerial action which was great fun. Although it is a great mother in law fish i decided it wasn't for the christmas day BBQ. Kept the sambo for slabs later in the night.

Recast both rods and thought i'd be up for a session of salmon, but went quiet for an hour or so.

After the sun went down I changed to squid on one rod, salmon on the other. I picked up 3 shovelnose, a smallish stingray & a school shark which I have heard are YUMMO, but don't keep (it's a karma thing). Also had 2 rigs snipped off well above the hook without noticing a bite. Very sharp teeth or scissors.

Looked at the clock and it was midnight. Already overstayed, was planning to pull the pin 11.30ish. High tide was a couple of hours away and nothing for the BBQ yet so decided to stay.

Soon after one of my rods keel over, I set the hooks and just hung on as I was taken on a blistering first run. This thing took loads of stopping but I put the pressure on slightly and attempted to turn him around. Who was I kidding? It took off on it's second run. I knew this was probably a shark or ray by the feel of it but of course when you're in the heat of the fight you always want to land them just in case. I knew my line was reaching it's end and decided to really try to stop this thing. Wasn't going to happen.

PING!!

Luckily I had another spool loaded up & ready to go.

Next thing I know my phone rings. It's the :wife: and she is absolutely :ranting2: .

I told her I'd be home in 30 mins. :diepig:

As i hit the button to end my call both rods bent over. Double hit. Hmmmm. What to do? I grabbed one rod, set the hooks and felt it had a bit of weight about it. Pretty certain I was onto a jew. Tell tale headshakes and the way it was fighting tells me it wasn't a shark or ray. Fought it patiently for a few minutes, all the way to the shorebreak and started walking up the beach. GONE!! :ranting2: I was gutted.

Ran to my other rod but whatever it was had eaten my bait and long gone. Devo!!!

Not long after I picked up 2 x 42cm bream and a 51cm tailor.

Finally something to show for a long sesh. Packed up and finally arrived home @ 4am. :hitsfan:

Most action packed beach sesh for a long time but my god I was sooooo tired yesterday after the :wife: made me get up with the boys and denied me a sleep in.

Have a great holiday period everyone, stay safe and may the fish be hungry.

Slabslinger

Edited by slabslinger

Slabslinger,

Mate first of all Merry Christmas!!!!!

second of all too bad about the Jewwie I am sure you will nail it next time around.

But at least you managed a feed at the end of it all so It was not all that bad and not to mention a action packed evening even though you did not really get what you were after...

I enjoy trips like that as it gives you something to talk about with mates and gives me excuses to try con the mrs into letting me buy better tackle hahahahaha

I must try beach fishing again its been quite some time!

All the Best,

Nathan

bad luck about the jew mate. sounds like a school may have come through and hit at the same time. oh well better luck next time!

lucky you got up with the kids in the morning or there may not have been a next time!!!! :074:

wives/girlfriends just dont understand our passion sometimes - especially when its directed at a fish and not them :biggrin2:

pete.