Sunday Jew Bash

marcel haber

Went out this morning ( sunday 27th) with my brother for a fish in the upper Parra.

Have heard reports that a few jew have been on the chew so we decided to give it a go.

The plan was to pick a spot and fish the turn of the high tide which was at 5.45am .

Set up 4 rods with fresh squid caught from our previous trip and the waiting game was on.

We fished from 2.30am and remained in the same location till 1 and a half hours after the tide change with very little bites.

Managed to pick up one legal size tailor and cut this up as a slab bait to see if this would do the trick.

No jew decided to show on the fresh bait so we decided to flick a few plastics as the sun showed its face and guess what no takers.

I think the water temperature was too warm (26 degrees) and this may have caused a shut down.

So once again another non event from our boat.

Always next time I guess.

Marcel

post-3455-1261869510_thumb.jpg

Edited by twin1

There's always next time Marcel... Over the years fishermen have found that the cooler nights can fish much better than the day times during these types of bleak southerly conditions for days on end during the summer.... the weather's been pretty steady to the point of boring over the last few days and there's not much variation in the air happening at all and that can make all the difference to fish..

You and Ray had good baits out for quite a few hours this morning and I'm sure would have looked for the best looking spots to fish, although the mid hours of a run out tide are generally always the quietest times, I think if the tide was the other way around, that is if you were fishing upriver from the start of a run in tide instead, it might have made some difference to the lack of bites you had....

Anyway, it would be nice to see a change day either way... Even if it did get cooler or suddenly become warmer and more humid and rain heavily, it would probably be all that's needed to liven up the fish, there's still plenty out there ....I had a quick look at Seabreeze, and they've forecast more of the same and they're showing rain all this week and for all day Thursday, New Years eve as well, with a change expected from the south to the north very early on Thursday morning... This would be the type of change you would be looking for, still it's hard to say how much rain is going to come out of this week's forecast or how much rain will accompany the change to the north early on the Thursday morning.... I think a good long Hawkesbury session on Thursday with the tide starting to run in again not long after midnight would be the way to go and the night session would be a pretty good way for you and Ray to bring in the new year as well... :yahoo:

Cheers :thumbup:

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

gday marcel,

bad luck mate - I think byron makes a very valid point, in my opinion you were fishing the tide wrong way around! when Nathan and I caught our jew last week we fished the last of the run IN tide where as you were fishing the run OUT.

Every time I have caught jew in the parra it has been last of the run in - top of the tide.

Armed with this info and knowing where to fish it is only a matter of time for you and Ray! dont give up your next trip could produce the goods.

pete.

G'day Marcel

you were in fact fishing the incomeing tide from 2am to daylight. & from the sounds of it that is the right tide ? im not sure myself as i dont fish the harbour or para river that much. but i do know that the best layed plans dont always produce results, you just have to keep at it and it will happen.

also at the moment if you want to catch jewfish u should try the lower hawkesbury . a friend of mine fished the run out today from daylight to midday and caught 8 jew with a few keepers. i also fished last monday , tuesday & wednesday and got jew each day fishin flint n steel, gunyah & rail bridge. didnt get that big one but we got plenty of school fish up to 3kg.

post-1424-1261902284_thumb.jpg

post-1424-1261902303_thumb.jpg

post-1424-1261902323_thumb.jpg

post-1424-1261902345_thumb.jpg

post-1424-1261902371_thumb.jpg

post-1424-1261902388_thumb.jpg

cheers brett

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Brett - you seem to know your stuff and the rewards are coming your way due to the time and effort that you put into your trips.

I believe timing is everything and knowing how to read your surroundings is very beneficial.

Fishing is just like any other sport - we need to put the time in to get the results and by the look of it Brett you and your posse are just doing that. well done mate.

Twin 1

marcel :beersmile:

G'day Marcel

you were in fact fishing the incomeing tide from 2am to daylight. & from the sounds of it that is the right tide ? im not sure myself as i dont fish the harbour or para river that much. but i do know that the best layed plans dont always produce results, you just have to keep at it and it will happen.

also at the moment if you want to catch jewfish u should try the lower hawkesbury . a friend of mine fished the run out today from daylight to midday and caught 8 jew with a few keepers. i also fished last monday , tuesday & wednesday and got jew each day fishin flint n steel, gunyah & rail bridge. didnt get that big one but we got plenty of school fish up to 3kg.

cheers brett

Your quite right about the tide Brett, what I meant to say and didn't say was that I would have preferred to see Marcel and Ray start off early morning on the alternate week when a run in tide starts to run in around daybreak with the changeover in the dark side of morning and then they'd get another go during the hours just before dark with a high starting to run out again around 2am or so that week and thinking of favoured tides but not taking into account that Ray and Marcel might not have long hours available... if fishing the Hawkesbury for instance one could go over to say Juno or perhaps a bit wider off Walker point towards line Lion Island to get the early evening the run in tide again and then move to say the Road bridge or settle in off Wobby and fish thru the stillwater thru the run out tide, hoping to strike few good size jewfish in among the large amount of soapies that are all thru the Hawkesbury system at the moment..

Happy New Year Brett to Wayne and yourself and your families and I wish you both the best with your Hawkesbury sessions and I hope to get a chance to meet up with you both in 2010 :thumbup:

Cheers

sorry marcel! I probably confused the issue as I didnt look at a tide chart I just went on what byron was saying. sounds like you were doing the right thing but perhaps a late arvo or night tide might be worth a try next time, we have caught roughly 1/2 dozen soapies at the spot I told you about, but all at night. Stick with it mate you are due for a good fish soon after the effort you put in.

pete.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Brett - you seem to know your stuff and the rewards are coming your way due to the time and effort that you put into your trips.

I believe timing is everything and knowing how to read your surroundings is very beneficial.

Fishing is just like any other sport - we need to put the time in to get the results and by the look of it Brett you and your posse are just doing that. well done mate.

Twin 1

marcel :beersmile:

your dead right mate (time & effort). im lucky in that i knock off work at 2pm mon to thurs & 11;30am fridays so i have plenty of afternoons to test all tides & suss out spots to fish. but it wasnt always the case, i remember my brother in law & i had the HH to brake, (hawkesbury hoodoo). plenty of catfish & eel trips till we learnt about big fresh bait. im also lucky to have an understanding wife that accepts my passion to land a 30kg jew.

Your quite right about the tide Brett, what I meant to say and didn't say was that I would have preferred to see Marcel and Ray start off early morning on the alternate week when a run in tide starts to run in around daybreak with the changeover in the dark side of morning and then they'd get another go during the hours just before dark with a high starting to run out again around 2am or so that week and thinking of favoured tides but not taking into account that Ray and Marcel might not have long hours available... if fishing the Hawkesbury for instance one could go over to say Juno or perhaps a bit wider off Walker point towards line Lion Island to get the early evening the run in tide again and then move to say the Road bridge or settle in off Wobby and fish thru the stillwater thru the run out tide, hoping to strike few good size jewfish in among the large amount of soapies that are all thru the Hawkesbury system at the moment..

Happy New Year Brett to Wayne and yourself and your families and I wish you both the best with your Hawkesbury sessions and I hope to get a chance to meet up with you both in 2010 :thumbup:

Cheers

G'day Byron

Happy new year to you as well mate, yes lets get out and have a fish in 2010. send me or waynie a pm when you think a big jew might be lurking about & we will go catch him eh. we might have to go out in your boat as it will be more comfy for your back i think, (no seats in my centre consol boat, only an esky to sit on).