Offshore Broken Bay

Benyo

post-12137-1262121273_thumb.jpgHello Raiders First report don't know if this is the right section so please move if necessary.

Went out of Broken bay Yesterday and north to Terrigal FAD. Big temperature break at about 100m (~10 miles out) water went from 20 to 21.5 in less than a few hundred meters. Set out 2, 8 inch skirts (pink and green) and a x rap. Double on the pink skirt and x rap right away Stripe Tuna. Trolled around looking for something better and just more strip tuna about 20 all good sized. picked up and went out to the FAD and the water was still 21.5 first pass under sized mahi mahi. about 60cm a few more passes nothing but lots of flying fish one flew right over the boat. Back to the temperature break and up sized my skirts to try to keep them in the water long enought to attract something bigger. Because of the wind and swell I was having trouble trolling N-S so had to criss cross the temperature break at 90 degrees. One more under sized dolly and a few more stripes. (saw 2 dolphin free junping right before i hooked one. )

I know there was something bigger out there just too many fish and good water for there not to be. Maybe next time

Damn that can be frustrating when you know there should be something bigger but you just can't crack it for one!

Still least you had some action and a nice day on the water.... better than trolling all day for zip!

Framedtrash, you prob think i am crazy but i eat them (i didn't get this figure being a fussy eater) If you cut out the red bit along the lateral line (that is where the very strong flavor is) and wash them in salt water it becomes pretty tasty. If i were ever to see a marlin when i had some i would like to say it would go out the back but i don't know if i could put it together under pressure prob end up tossing the esky at him.

Brett, The BB FAD is about 12 miles out (depends on where you measure from) if the weather is ok i can be there in 30-40 min from the heads. Yesterday I was at the Terrigal FAD that is about 5-6 miles further north. Both are in about 110m of water.

ive never tried them as food i normally just use them for cut baits

might have to give them a go next time im out there also heard they make decent sushi

weather permitting hopefully be hitting up the fads in the next few weeks

Dave if ya need some company give me a bell

heres a map of the location of the fads to give you some idea of how far out they are from BB

the BB fad is 22.6km out directly from Palm beach headland and the terrigal fad is 29.7km from palmy

fads.jpg

Edited by Framedtrash