Current And Squidding

Juzza

Iv been using a few live yellowtails and often they are taken by squid and occys. Last time i tried, in 3m of water there was too much current for sizes 1.5-2.5 to go down to the bottom. So i attached a small sinker to the nose of the squid jig. (I then managed a small cuttle) Is that the right approach? because it does wreak the action of the jig.

I guess i could also use yellowtail and mullet as bait to attach to the squid prongs, just a final question on this. Do you let this settle onto the ground? or is it meant to stay mid water? under a float?

Cant wait to nail a few calamari for dinner =]

Justin :1fishing1:

your jig is supposed to get get in thier strike zone ie.like brushing along weed beeds or getting close enough for them to attack your jig in rocky area where squid are

them again tossing out your jig and waiting 20 seconds then starting your retrieve can work out well also it depends on your jigs sink rate and the depth of the water in the area you are squiding

I wouldn't attach any more unnecessary weight to your jig. Just let it sink. Alternatively you can run it on a paternoster rig.

I find that bait on squid prongs, it's best to do a slow retreive on it, if you are fishing shallow or the squid are close to the surface, put it on a float.

If you are getting more cuttles than squid then your jig is resting on the bottom most of the time. Cuttles seem to ambush their prey when it is right on the sea bed but squid seem to prefer to attack during the sink.

Where i fish there is not usually much current but sometimes i wait up to 1 minute to ensure the jig hits the bottom before i start retrieving. During the day i like to keep the squid jig right near the bottom, in lower light conditions i will give more erratic retrieves mid water. The best advice would be to experiment, mix it up and see what works.

Hello Justin, do not use sinker because it will tip the jig downwards which looks very imbalance. You should go up in size may be # 3 -# 4 or i move to deeper water such as 5 to 10 metres.

With yellow tail and the squid sprong, one rod i use this under the float and the other i use heavier jig if the current too strong. Good luck

Henry